May not be a spectacular looking cake, but this fabulous banana chiffon is so good, it should be enjoyed without icing.
2 cups flour, sifted
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
7 egg yolks
1 cup mashed bananas
1 Tbsp lemon juice
7 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
• In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
• Add the oil, egg yolks, bananas and lemon juice; beat smooth.
• Put egg whites and cream of tartar in a separate large bowl.
• Beat until very stiff peaks form.
• Gradually and very gently fold the egg whites into the flour mixture.
• Line the bottom, center and the side of a large tube tube pan with parchment paper. [do not grease]
• Bake at 350F for 50 minutes.
Set the tube pan on its side, securing it with oven mitts. Do not remove a cake from its baking pan for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until completely cooled.
To remove cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of the pan and center core. Then Invert onto a greased wire rack.