No more TÚRÓGOMBÓC deprivation; There IS a way to make túrógombóc from cottage cheese; you just need the DRY CURD type. And the curds have to be mashed; smashed, pulverized, obliterated, destroyed! That is because the curds are not able to absorb the semolina, so dumplings made from curds will always fall apart in the simmering water. But by pureeing the curds first – dry curd cottage cheese becomes a type of soft cheese product that is suitable for making a pretty good túrógombóc! Jó étvágyat!
1-3/4 cups DRY CURD cottage cheese
1/4+1/8 cup semolina
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Note: This recipe was designed specifically for dry curd cottage cheese and these proportions will not work with any other type of soft cheese product.
1. Process the dry curd cottage cheese.
2. Place the processed dry curds in a large bowl.
3. Add the eggs and stir to combine.
4. Add the semolina and stir to combine.
5. Add salt to taste and stir to combine.
6. Bring a pot of water to boil.
7. Form 6 balls in the palm of your hands.
8. Slide the dumplings into the boiling water.
9. Gently simmer until dumplings float to the surface.
10. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and drain.
11. In a large skillet lightly toast the bread crumbs in 2 Tbsp oil.
12. Pour the roasted breadcrumbs into a large heated bowl.
13. Slide the dumplings into the bowl, moving the bowl around to coat the dumplings.
14. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with sour cream.