Traditional sugar cookies tend to be doughy and hard to shape. The butter laden variety is delicious and somewhat easier to roll, but quite high in fat content. This one is a nice alternative. This one is a light, crispy cookie that is easy to handle and a child can decorate it. Scroll down...
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• In a large bowl cream the shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
• In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
• Combine flour and shortening mixtures until well blended.
• Chill for 1 hour for easy rolling.
• Roll out dough 1/8" thick on a lightly floured surface.
• Cut into 2" rounds
• Re-roll leftovers and cut more rounds.
• Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
• Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes for crispy cookies.
Makes 42 cookies