MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

19.4.10

JOKAI BEAN SOUP – JÓKAI BABLEVES


2 pig's hocks*, smoked
or
a small cottage roll
1/2 celery root, cubed
1-1/4 cups pinto beans
1 onion, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
2 garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 lb smoked pork sausage
sour cream

• Soak the beans for 24 hours.
• Rinse and pour off the soaking water periodically.
• In a large pot submerge 2 pig's hocks or a cottage roll with fresh water.
• Simmer slowly until the meat comes off the bones.
[Pig’s hocks take considerably longer to cook.]
• De-bone, cut up the meaty parts, and set aside.
• Add the chopped celery root and the drained beans to the broth.
• Cook until tender.
• Sauté the onions in 2 Tbsp olive oil until translucent.
• Add the parsley and flour to make roux on the lowest possible heat.
• Keep stirring to prevent burning.
• When roux is light brown stir in paprika and minced garlic.
• Ladle 1 cup of soup into the roux.
• Stir the roux smooth and pour into the soup.
• Adjust the salt, add the sausage and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
• Add the smoked meats and serve with dollops of sour cream.

* You really need 2 pig hocks
  

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!

Blog Archive