STUFFED EGGS - TÖLTÖTT TOJÁS
These are my famous stuffed eggs. I often make them for Leilah's parties. I was told they disappear quite fast. If the Tartar Sauce is made with homemade mayonnaise it will taste the absolute best. But it will also be rich. Sometimes when I make several dozen of these eggs, I cheat and use half commercial and half homemade mayo. That way you get the homemade mayo flavor, but you also cut the fat. I don't use light mayo though. It brings in a foreign flavor. Even worse is using Miracle Whip. If you like Miracle Whip use it from the jar and forget making a Tartar Sauce. You can't make good Tartar Sauce from Miracle Whip.
Always be careful with mayonnaise based dishes. Don't let them sit on the table for too long. Especially if using homemade mayonnaise. It contains raw egg yolks, so care should be taken to reduce the chance of bacterial growth.
1 tsp minced parsley
1/2 tsp minced onion*
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
1 batch of Hungarian Tartar Sauce [scroll down for recipe]
• Bring the eggs to boil.
• Cover, and remove from heat.
• Let stand for 15 minutes. Do not lift lid.
• After 15 minutes peel and halve the eggs.
• With a small spoon scoop out the yolks and set the whites aside.
• Place the yolks in a bowl.
• Add parsley, onion, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and Tartar Sauce.
• Combine well.
• Adjust consistency; add more bread crumbs or Tartar Sauce. The yolk filling should be on the firmer side.
• Stuff the whites with the yolk filling.
• Wrap and place stuffed eggs in the fridge immediately.
• Allow the flavors to combine for minimum 6 hours.
• Sprinkle with paprika just before serving.
HUNGARIAN TARTAR SAUCE
1/8 cup full fat mayonnaise
1/8 cup sour cream
1 Tsp sugar
1 Tsp prepared mustard
little white wine or milk
• In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar and the mustard.
• Add a little bit of white wine or milk for sauce consistency. The amount will depend on the type of mayonnaise and sour cream used. Never use Miracle Whip.
* Mincing is very fine dicing. But never grate onions for stuffed eggs, because the onion juices, even in tiny amount, can overpower the delicate flavoring of eggs.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- CREPE FILLINGS
- CREPES - PALACSINTA
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE NOODLES - TÚRÓS CSUSZA
- ROUX- RÁNTÁS
- ALMOND THIMBLE COOKIES
- PINCHED NOODLES - CSIPETKE
- PORK PATTIES - FASÍRT
- EGG DUMPLINGS - NOKEDLI
- BEEF PAPRIKA - MARHA PÖRKÖLT
- APRICOT GLAZE
- CURD CHEESE DUMPLINGS - TÚRÓGOMBÓC
- COTTAGE CHEESE CUSTARD SLICES - TÚRÓS KRÉMES
- CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD
- HOMEMADE VANILLA SUGAR
- LAYERED POTATOES - RAKOTT KRUMPLI
- POZSONY NUT CRESCENTS – POZSONYI KIFLI
- EMPIRE COOKIES
- CUTTING BAR COOKIES
- FARINA SOUP DUMPLINGS - GRÍZ NOKEDLI
- HUNGARIAN CURD CHEESE – TÚRÓ
- CLEAR BROTH ASPARAGUS SOUP
- LIGHT BANANA CAKE
- FLUFFY BROWN SUGAR FROSTING
- ROASTED HALF TURKEY
- 100 % WHOLE WHEAT BREAD
- TURKEY DRESSING
- RUSTIC WHITE BREAD – HÁZI KENYÉR
- BREADED CHICKEN - RÁNTOTT CSIRKE
- FILLET of SOLE IN PARCHMENT
- STUFFED EGGS - TÖLTÖTT TOJÁS
- ▼ March (33)