So I got to thinking… what if I tried my doughnut recipe and made it into gőzgombóc? By golly Molly it worked very well. Very well indeed. The recipe makes 15 gőzgombóc. If this recipe makes too many, or you don't want to steam them right away, refrigerate some of them to use later. This is what restaurants do. Or you can freeze what you don’t need for another day, uncooked of course, and just thaw it, let it rise a bit and then proceed with the steaming. For 15 gőzgombóc you need:
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
5-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 pkg. instant dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup walnuts, finely ground
1/2 cup sugar
• In a small saucepan, warm the milk with the shortening over low heat until the shortening starts to melt.
• Add cold water, sour cream, 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk to it.
• Whisk all this together and then add to the flour mixture.
• Combine the ingredients and shape into a ball.
• Turn dough onto a clean board and kneed for 5-10 minutes.
• The dough will stick a little, but you don’t need to add more flour.
• Dough should be very pliable and elastic.
• Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl to rise for two hours.
• When dough doubles in size turn onto a floured board and divide into 15 parts.
• Shape each peace into round disks.
• Wash the apricots and remove the stems and stones.
• Place both halves of the apricots on the dough disks.
• Sprinkle apricots with cinnamon sugar.
• Close up the apricots and shape the disks into packages, forming them into balls.
• Fill a large pot with water.
• If you have a large steamer insert, use that.
• If not, place a splatter screen on the top.
• Bring the water to rolling boil.
• Spray the steamer insert or platter screen with cooking spray.
• Place 5 dumplings in the steamer or on the splatter screen.
• Brush the tops with melted butter.
• Cover the dumplings with a deep pot that has the same circumference as the pot on the bottom.
• Steam the dumplings for 25 minutes.
• Do NOT lift top pot to peek!
• Grind the walnuts very fine in the food processor or in a small coffee grinder.
• Add 1/2 cup sugar and mix.
• Place 1 or 2 dumplings on a plate and pour melted butter on the top.
• Sprinkle with the walnut mixture and you can eat. Delicious!