10-12 slices of French bread
3 Tbsp butter
4 whole eggs
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla
Apricot Sauce and more whipped cream to serve with the pudding
• Slice the bread, and butter each slice.
• Beat the eggs, sugar and salt until well blended.
• In a saucepan bring the milk and cream just to boil.
• Stir this mixture very gradually into the egg mixture.
• Add the vanilla extract.
• Butter a square baking dish.
• Arrange the bread slices in the prepared dish with buttered sides up.
• Strain the custard mixture on the top.
• Set the dish in a roasting pan.
• Fill the roasting pan with hot water to a dept of 1 inch.
• Bake at 375F for until a knife inserted comes out clean.
• Scoop some hot pudding on a plate and pour hot Apricot Sauce on top.
• Top with a large dollop of whipped cream.