1 small loaf of skinny French bread
4 egg yolks
2 cups milk
4 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp rum
1 Tbsp Fruit Fresh
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
4 Tbsp ground walnut
4 egg whites
3 Tbsp apricot jam
• Slice the French bread and cut each slice in half.
• Place the chopped bread in a large mixing bowl.
• Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar just to combine.
• Add the rum and the milk and whisk to combine.
• Add the egg and milk mixture to the chopped bread and let it soak for 30 minutes.
• Occasionally stir so each chunk of bread is well soaked.
• Meanwhile peel the apples, removing the cores.
• Shred the apples on the largest blade of your grater [or on a mandolin].
• Place the apple in a bowl and sprinkle with Fruit Fresh, 1 Tbsp sugar, ground cinnamon and nutmeg.
• Toss to coat evenly and set aside
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Generously spray an ovenproof rectangular dish with cooking spray.
• Lay the soaked bread pieces in the prepared dish.
• Sprinkle with the finely ground walnuts.
• Lay the apple mixture on the top and place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
• During the last ten minutes prepare beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
• Beat in 3 Tbsp of apricot jam and beat very stiff.
• Remove the dish from the oven and spread the top with the whipped egg whites.
• Score the top. I used a cake-decorating comb, but a fork will work just as well.
• Reduce heat to 350F and put the dish back in the oven.
• Bake until top is light golden brown.
• Immediately score the top with a serrated knife into serving size portions.
• Let it cool down completely before slicing and serving.