1/2+1/3 cup butter, soft
1 cup icing sugar
4 egg yolks
2 cups flour
rind of 1 lemon, very finely grated
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla
apricot jam for spreading [make sure the jam is not runny]
1 square of pure baking chocolate*
1 Tbsp butter
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Beat the soft butter and the icing sugar until very fluffy.
• Add the egg yolks and beat some more.
• Gradually add the flour, grated lemon rind, salt and the vanilla.
• Combine to form the cookie dough. Resist the urge to add more flour.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Roll the dough into 48 balls. Every so often, I flour my hands so the cookie dough won’t stick to my hands. Traditionally these cookies are piped, but I find it faster to just roll them. If you prefer to pipe the cookie dough, form the cookies into ball shapes.
• Place the little balls on the prepared baking sheet leaving some space in between. Do NOT flatten the cookie balls.
• Place in the preheated oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Do not over bake.
• Remove cookies from the oven and let them solidify before transferring to a wire rack.
• Spread about 1 tsp of apricot jam [or nutella] on a cookie. Do not spread the filling all the way to the edge, because it will overflow and the cookies will be a mess. Place a cookie on the top and set aside. Fill the rest of the cookies.
• Melt the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler.
• Place a heavy zyploc bag inside a coffee mug and spoon the melted chocolate into the bag.
• Close the zyploc and cut a tiny hole into one of the corners of the bag.
• Twist the bag and squeeze squiggles on the top of the filled cookies.
*1 square =1 oz = 1/3 cup chocolate chips