image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

26.8.12

REFREGIRATOR PICKLES


Refrigerator pickles, fridge pickles, ice cream bucket pickles, ice cream pickles, bucket pickles are some of the names these pickles are called and the variations are endless. I never heard of this thing, making pickles in your fridge until a few years ago my friend Barbara wrote out a version of it for me during one of their visits from Edmonton. I took it, but I knew I will never make it; it had way too much salt, vinegar and spices in it for my palate. However the idea intrigued me so I decided to make it using the same concept but in a milder version. I always liked pickles, but never cared for the pucker types and so it remains to be seen if I will succeed with these ones.

This morning I used up some of the cucumbers the man picked for me last night. We are in the man and woman mode when we are dog sitting, “go with the man” or “go to the woman” we tell the dogs; between the two of us we have so many names we don’t want to confuse them. I quartered the cucumbers; put them in 2 glass jars with the dill and the garlic cloves. Then I made the brine. I poured the brine over them, put the caps on and the jars went into the fridge. Now I wait 5 days to see if these cucumbers will turn into pickles. The color will tell me apparently.

It is day four and the cucumbers look like pickles. Now for the taste test… They taste pretty awful. I put them back and decide to wait for one more day. I forget to check the pickles on day five so this is day six. What a change in two days! These are pretty good! I will do a batch of kosher dills next. Then I will compare and see which one I like better.

pickling cucumbers in various sizes to fill 2 glass jars
2 heads of dill
4 cloves of garlic

Brine:
6 cups of water
3/8 cup sugar
6 Tbsp pickling salt
1-1/2 cups 5% white vinegar

• Wash the cucumbers and cut off the ends.
• Quarter them and set them aside.
• Place a head of dill and 2 garlic cloves in each glass jar.
• Arrange the cucumber on the top.
• To make the brine, boil 4 cups of water.
• Meanwhile place the sugar, pickling salt, pickling spice and the vinegar in a bowl.
• Pour the boiling water into the bowl and stir to dissolve the pickling salt.
• Divide the brine between the two jars with the cucumbers.
• Place a well fitting screw cap on the tops and put them in the fridge for 5 days.
• Pickles are ready a couple of days after the color changes. It was good by the sixth day. Now I can rest.
• Pickles will keep for 6 months in the fridge.

4 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa I'm trying to comment from my daughter's computer...will see if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why you cannot comment Elisabeth, I opened it up to everybody, even "anonymous" can comment... [I am starting to get spam]I will take another look and try to add you as a regular if I can. I am so not computer savy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great Zsuzsa, just like my Moms pickles (except that she left her pickles in the kitchen until it boiled over and then locked them down and refrigerated them. They weren't too vinegary either and had a nice soft crunch to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started the Kosher pickles today. With no sugar or vinegar in the brine and gauze over the jars it must be the wild yeast that will activate it. I find it hard to believe it could be ready in 3 days, but that is what Lebowitz claims. I will put down the smaller cukes much the same. My grandma called them vizes uborka. But those will take 6 weeks. Last year I had very little cucumbers in the garden and we let them grow for salads. This year the crop has been amazing so I am in the pickle.

    Eva, ever since you mentioned your mom making tokfozelek I can think of nothing else. I looked for it today and I was told marrow squash is a late summer vegetable and they won't have it in the stores here until the end of September. I can hardly wait!!!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive