SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDALTHÚSSAL
This is one more variation on the theme. Like Sauerkraut Gulyas, Transylvanian Layered Cabbage, Sausage and Kraut, Sauerkraut with Meatballs leads back to the same magnificent dish, Hungarian Cabbage Rolls. I didn’t put rice in the meatballs, because rice would make them too fragile and I like to keep the meatballs small. But given that rice is a component of cabbage rolls, albeit small amount, this dish does go rather well with a serving of cooked rice.
2 +2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 + 1/2 cups diced onions
1 tsp caraway seeds
500 g lean ground pork
salt and ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp fine breadcrumbs
2 + 2 tsp Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 cups of sauerkraut, drained
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 thick slices of Canadian back bacon, diced
1 large tomato, chopped
2/3 cup homemade pork or chicken stock
2 Tbsp flour 1/2 cup sour cream
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Place 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large non stick skillet.
• Add 3/4 cup onions and the caraway seeds to the skillet and sauté until onions are soft.
• Meanwhile place the ground pork, salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, 2 tsp Hungarian paprika and the freshly chopped parsley in a large mixing bowl.
• Add the soft onions, minced garlic and the egg.
• With clean hands, combine the meat mixture really well.
• Drain the sauerkraut and add to an oven proof metal pot.
• Add the remaining 2 tsp oil to the same skillet.
• Slowly sauté the remaining 1/2 cup onions.
• Add the onions to the sauerkraut with the remaining 2 tsp paprika and stir to combine.
• Arrange the diced bell pepper, tomatoes over the sauerkraut mixture.
• Form 20 meatballs from the meat mixture and arrange over the bell peppers ans the tomatoes.
• Scatter the diced back bacon on the top and add the meat stock.
• Cover and place in the preheated oven for 2-3 hours.
• Remove from heat and transfer the meatballs to a platter.
• Stir in the flour and the sour cream and put back the meatballs.
• Do not stir after the meatballs are put back; only shake the pot from side to side.
• Place back into the oven uncovered for one more hour.
• Remove from the oven and serve with sour cream and rice.
• Serves 4-6
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.
- ► 2014 (99)
- ► 2013 (108)
- SAUERKRAUT WITH MEATBALLS - SZÉKELYKÁPOSZTA VAGDAL...
- BROWN BUTTER CAKE
- BROWN SUGAR MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM
- HUNGARIAN APPLE SQUARES - ALMÁSPITE
- HAM AND BREAD PUDDING
- SWEET BEET CITRUS SALAD
- BLACK BEAN TOMATO SOUP
- COOKING LARGE NEW POTATOES
- NEW POTATOES WITH CAPERS
- BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALSA
- ROASTED TOMATO SAUCE
- TOMATO LAYERED POTATOES - PARADICSOMOS RAKOTT KRUM...
- ROASTED PIZZA TOMATOES
- CROSTINI WITH OVEN ROASTED TOMATOES
- OVEN ROASTED TOMATO SLICES
- HUNGARIAN WATER PICKLES - VIZES UBORKA
- BROCCOLI CARROT SALAD
- LENTIL STEW – LENCSE FŐZELÉK
- ROASTED BUFFALO TURKEY LEG
- ▼ October (19)
- ► 2011 (180)
- ► 2010 (208)