image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

30.11.12

GREEN PEAS STEW - ZÖLDBORSÓ FŐZELÉK


 
The most successful főzelék made from a frozen vegetable has to be green peas stew. When I was a kid we only had it when green peas were in season. In a Miele cooking video I watched my favourite chef prepare green peas stew in milk and decided to give it a try. I don’t think I will ever cook this főzelék in water again; the peas were so tasty cooked in the milk based sauce. Főzelék dishes are comforting, filling and uniquely Hungarian. When I was a kid we used to eat this with a tükörtojás, and believe me after a long winter when we finally got to have something fresh, green peas were a treat. I have to admit though that green peas stew is even better with a slice of roast pork or with a nice fasirt. The chef used 4 cups of milk, but since I prefer a thicker stew, I added only 3 cups of milk to my főzelék. I also added a considerable amount of finely chopped fresh parsley at the end. The fresh parsley enhanced the flavour and made the dish taste fresher; in fact it made you forget that these peas started out as humble frozen peas. Truly it is not worth your while to omit the fresh parsley or to replace it with its dried version.
 
3 cups green peas
3/8 cup butter [do not reduce amount]
3 tbsp flour
salt to taste
3 cups cold milk [I used 1%]
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup fresh parsley
 
• Melt the butter on medium heat in a medium sized dutch pot.
• Add the frozen peas and heat the peas, stirring for a couple of minutes. The peas will be still frozen, just a little bit less so.
• Sprinkle the flour over the peas and stir to combine.
• Add salt to taste.
• Pour in the cold milk and bring it to a slow simmer.
• Simmer slowly, stirring continuously for 4-5 minutes.
• Adjust the salt and add the sugar.
• Finally stir in the chopped fresh parsley, cover and let the stew rest for 4-5 minutes and serve.
 



 

5 comments:

  1. This is quit different from the pea soup that I'm familiar with. The one I'm use to is a split pea and the peas are cooked to a mush. This soup, even made with frozen peas, looks fresh and fresh tasting. I love the addition of the parsley at the end to give it that fresh taste. Thanks for sharing this easy and tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's basically a bechamel with peas, how lovely. I adore the addition of the egg, so beautiful and the molten yolk would be a delicious sauce in the pea főzelék.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzs, every time I forget my childhood favorites...one click, and you bring back such wonderful and cozy memories. Love, the zöldborsó főzelék, same as zöldbab főzelék, tökfőzelék...I could go on and on, so yummy and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a very intriguing, fresher version of pea soup (I also have only had dried pea soup). Another amazing Hungarian recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peach lady, főzelék is not a soup. Those of us who grew up on főzelék may not have liked it at the time, but as time goes on főzelék seems to become a comfort food for us. Eva you are right, thickened either with roux, or "habarva" it does end up reminiscent of a vegetable in white sauce. Of course the milk in this case makes it more béchamel like. Elisabeth I may have missed the boat this year with tökfőzelék, I didn't want to tax my husband with extra running around, but I sure would LOVE to make a pot of marrow squash stew...

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive