image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

31.1.13

CINNAMON TWISTS


 
This wasn’t the first cinnamon twist recipe I tried, but this will definitely be my last. The most disappointing ones were made from commercial puff pastry, but once I tried Braker’s cottage cheese dough, I thought convenience be damned this is the one and only recipe for cinnamon twists. [Next in line will be the cheese twists.] Half a batch of cottage cheese dough yields 16 good sized cinnamon twists. They last well, four of them lasted beyond the first day and they were still crispy and fabulous. After that I don’t know, because they were gone by mid morning. My cinnamon twists were larger and didn’t require the fuss Braker’s petit sized twists did. Therefore I omitted a lot of what I thought were unnecessary steps and as it turned out indeed what I left out would have been superfluous.
 
1/2 batch of cottage cheese dough
 
Cinnamon Sugar:
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
 
• Adjust rack to lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350F.
• Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Do not grease.
• In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
• Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar on a work surface and start to roll the dough over the cinnamon sugar.
• Aim for a 48X7 inch rectangle and as you roll, turn the dough over several times.
• Continue to add cinnamon sugar so the dough won’t stick to the surface and that both sides are well coated with cinnamon sugar. I used up most of the cinnamon sugar.
• With a pizza cutter cut the rectangle into 16 strips.
• To twist strip, hold each end between thumb and forefinger.
• Turn one end toward you and the other one away until twisted 3 or 4 times.
• It is best to twist strip loosely rather than too tight.
• Place strips, 1 inch apart on the parchment lined cookie sheet.
• Press both ends of the strips into the parchment to anchor them.
• Bake for 15 minutes, or until light golden brown.
• Cool in pan on a rack.
• Store the strips in an airtight tin at room temperature.

9 comments:

  1. The twists look very crisp and light even knowing there's cottage cheese in the dough. Very tempting.

    Reminds me I have to find/replace my pizza cutter wheel. Maybe one of those rippled little wheels as well for the next time I make a lattice pie crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really cute! Remind me a bit of puff pastry cheese twists I prepare sometimes. I would love to have them for my lunch dessert now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful recipe. I have a batch of the dough in the fridge RIGHT NOW! I was going to turn the entire dough into the rugelach, but now I'm torn. Perhaps I'll try a few in the savoury version with cheese (I have a very creamy havarti in the fridge too!
    Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maria and Sissi! Yes these would be great rolled into greated cheese and it looks like Eva is thinking about the same thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made up the batch of Rugelach on Friday and the only thing I would change is to add a bit of sugar to the nut mixture as my jam completely melted out of the little rolls. I also saved one of the quarters for cheese twists and smeared the rectangle with fig preserves and grated some Havarti on top; unfortunately the Havarti melted out of the twists, but the fig preserves caramelized very nicely. Next time I'll try it with the powdered Parmesan Cheese. I have another cottage cheese in the fridge to make yet another batch of the dough, which I must say is EXQUISITE (flaky like a croissant). I'll make some more breakfast pastries (it's so flaky, like danish pastry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right - the cottage cheese dough does make a beautiful puff pastry. These little twist look like they would crunch, then melt in my mouth. Just the way I like them! Can you come bake for me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva, I used homemade lekvar, Braker mentions Hungarian lekvar several times in her books. I realize commercial jams are sometimes runny. I wondered if you just heated the jam in a double boiler and stirred a little cornstrach into it and then let it cool down before using. Once there is jam in something added sugar could distroy the taste balance. One other alternative is using jam very sparingly. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes Peach Lady, these are fluffy and crunchy and survive well beyond the day they are baked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah... I have a feeling we live quite far apart Peach Lady... But I would love to have you over for tea. Would it not be fun if we all got together somewhere half way around the world? Would it be over at Elisabeth's or at Sissi's place? Now where could we all crash?

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.