image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

4.4.13

UNCLE BUBBA POUND CAKE


I made an Uncle Bubba* Pound Cake exorcising a bad memory. Who ever heard of good hospital food? Well maybe my hubby, he never wanted me to bring in food for him after he started chowing down following his hernia operation. Even worse, when Olivia was born he ate up all of Leilah’s hospital meals[!!!] – I swear he went up to the hospital to eat. Meanwhile I kept running home and cooking and taking edible food to the hospital for our daughter.
 
I was displeased with hospital food right from the beginning – as a kid every hospital stay made me sicker. That’s because I refused to eat. But wait… there was that pound cake at the Péterfy Sándor Utcai Kórház. All right, I was warned to eat the soup first, but I gagged on it so I started on the cake instead. Then Nurse Ratched comes over and pours the soup over my cake! All these years I never made a pound cake… whoever said there was no food therapy?
 
*Uncle Bubba is Paula Dean’s brother.
 
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups flour [must be all purpose]
1 cup milk
2 tsp lemon extract
 
• Note: Do not accidentally grab “self-rising” flour out of your cabinet. Only use “all purpose” flour.
• Preheat the oven to 325F.
• Fully line a 10-inch tube pan with parchment paper.
• Spray the center tube with cooking spray.
• In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
• Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
• Add the flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
• Stir in the lemon extract.
• Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
• Place in oven and bake at 325F for 1 hour.
• Increase the temperature to 350F and bake for 30 minutes more.
• Do not open the oven door while baking.
• After 30 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake to see if it comes out clean. If it doesn’t, continue baking at 350F until the toothpick comes out clean.
• Place the cake on a wire rack to cool down completely.
• Run a blunt knife around the middle and gently remove cake.
• To serve, cut a slice and sprinkle it with icing sugar.
• Nice with sliced strawberries or drizzled with strawberry coulis.




 

14 comments:

  1. Your cake looks so nice and tall and airy. I tried to make a swiss roll today to disastrous results so this just rubs in the fact that I SUCK at cake baking.

    This is why Dobos and Sacher tortes will be a long time coming in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, I made my share of unsuccessful cakes and sometimes I still have disasters. There are cakes I make 2-3 times before they are to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsa, it looks fabulous! Reminds me a bit of yeast cakes... I'm just wondering why is this recipe so complicated? I prepare pound cakes all the time, but they are the easiest cakes in the world; they don't require any recipe really: 4 ingredients, each weighing the same... (Hence the name "pound cake" because in olden times huge 4 pound cakes were made).
    I suppose it's because of the cups... At least one recipe where no one will convince me cups make life easier ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again! I don't know if you have seen this one (the photo is not good, sorry): http://www.withaglass.com/?p=7959

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake Zsuzsa, you certainly are an exceptional baker. I've not been a fan of pound cake but this one looks so moist and not too heavy. A lovely fig compote would be exceptional with this.
    My Aunt Agi was the head dietician for one if the hospitals in Budapest, I was often surprised at the type of food she brought home (on discount) as being totally unhealthy. Glad to hear bad hospital food is not the Canadian exception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sissi, your recipe is the traditional pound cake. What attracted me to this one is the 5 eggs. I thought it might not be as heavy as pound cakes generally are and my hunch was correct. There is lightness to this pound cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eva, bad hospital food, bad on all counts. The Kamloops hospital gets its meals shipped in from Kelowna - how could it be good? Endless jello and what I find amazing is that you can't tell the coffee and tea apart. And the sizes... rock hard buns about the size of a small egg.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zsuzsa, I cannot prove it but the pound cake I prepare is not heavy... It melts in mouth (I even have a vanilla one at home now). It depends on what one considers a heavy cake I suppose: for me a higher flour content means a heavy cake (challah is a good example here although I like it), but if it contains more fat (for example a flourless chocolate cake), it might have more calories, but isn't "stuffy" (which is horrible because it feels falsely light).
    I once had such a discussion with a friend who had an opposite opinion, so I suppose it depends on people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake is absolutely gorgeous! Love the photo with the powdered sugar on the cake…lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Sissi, I feel bad, it wasn’t my intent to imply this pound cake was in any way superior to yours. But definitely, our perceptions and textural preferences are not always the same. For instance take my friend and I, who is also my main taste tester, sometimes when I try out a new cake recipe, we find ourselves on opposite poles with our opinions. What I find a sloppy soggy cake she will often pronounce pleasantly moist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zsuzsa, it's a misunderstanding! I understood that you were not criticising my cake! It's of course possible that my pound cake falls into heavy category for you.
    I think I'm like your friend: I love soggy, super moist, super buttery cakes :-) but I will not resist a big piece of challah or other more floury cake...
    The majority of my not light sweets are eaten by my husband, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sissi, yes same here, the man has the sweet tooth here too. I am more of a bread girl. Yes, a super lofty challah is my ideal. Speaking of breads, I will be experimenting with breadmaking next. I am after a rustic chewy breadloaf, trying to pack in the fibre, but without loosing the taste. If you know a recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zsuzsa... Bread is my biggest eating problem. I have to go very far in order to buy good, French bread (the baker is in France), but I love it so much... I have no discipline when it comes to good bread, so I try not to tempt myself more and never bake bread. No recipe, alas. I'm looking forward to see your creations! I'm sure you will make excellent bread.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.