image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

7.8.13

WAX BEAN TARTLETS - ZÖLDBABOS TARTE


Oh my. These are dangerously good. But you do need a good pie pastry, which I do have here, because pastry enjoyment is an essential part of these tartlets. I found the recipe on a Hungarian site called Dining Guide. Gabojsza used a pâte brisée, but I am certain my pie pastry is superior. That and I left out the bacon. You do NOT need bacon or bacon fat for this. This is already an insanely rich treat. There comes a point when too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing. Ah but these tartlets were heavenly, and yes, you can make it with other steamed vegetables, the filling need not be wax beans. I used 3 large ramekins; smaller ones would not give balance between pastry and filling. Consequently, I could only make three tartlets from the filling. But one tart is more than enough for one person. With a salad you have a perfect meal for two and you can fight over the third tartlet the following day. I gave it to my constant friend and lately food taster Ann, who picked it up and brought back the ramekin with two words; “More please!”

1/4 batch of pie pastry
3 large ramekins

Filling:
200 g tender, young wax beans [2/3 cup chopped]
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 whole shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
few sprigs of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled [250 g]
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp flaked parmesan
ground pepper to taste

• Use only fresh tender wax beans. Mature, stringy beans are not recommended.
• Use creamy feta. If the feta is very salty, soak in cold water for a couple of hours before use.
• Make the pie pastry first and then set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Wash the wax beans and remove the top ends only. Young beans are not stringy and you can also leave on the tails.
• Cut up the wax beans into inch long pieces and blanch them in boiling water for 3 minutes.
• Drain the beans and set them aside.
• In a small non stick skillet, sauté the chopped shallot and garlic they soften Do not brown.
• Remove skillet from the heat and add the wax beans.
• Transfer the mixture to a smaller bowl.
• Add the chopped parsley, the beaten egg, the crumbled feta, the whipping cream and gently combine.
• Season the mixture with ground pepper. Do NOT add salt, the feta will make the filling sufficiently seasoned with salt.
• Roll out the pastry into 3 large circles and fully line the ramekins.
• Divide the filling between the ramekins.
• Place in the oven and bake the tartlets for 25 minutes.
• After 25 minutes reduce the heat to 375F and bake until the tops get a nice golden color.
• Remove the tartlets from the oven.
• Tartlets can be served piping hot in the ramekins.
• If you want them served on their own, let them cool down so they can be handled.
• Hot or warm, serve the tartlets with a green salad.

 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. The idea of a veggie tartlet is wonderful but since I do NOT like beans (wax or otherwise) I'd like to try it with asparagus.

    I'd also like to give your pie crust recipe a try ... I posted a question on the crust page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend and I came to the same conclusion. Asparagus! This would be wonderful with asparagus! I answered the pie crust question.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the answer to my question. I'm looking forward to tasting the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zsuzsa, the first thing I did; was to check out that Hungarian site, and found it to be pretty amazing, with really professional bakers, and cooks' recipes...even their photos are superb. Next, I checked out your pie crust recipe, which calls for 5 pie crusts (otherwise, I would've fainted from using all that lard for 1 crust)

    My pie crust recipe is almost the same, but I use Crisco, although lard is also available in the same type of tin cans which I never use. Interesting, how you added the eggs into the dough and not chill the butter and lard when adding it into the dough, and also chilling the dough for at least 1 hour.

    I can't remember if my famous Mariskaneni who was a professional baker used this method, and she baked a lot, like just about every day. I guess, if you work the dough fast enough, and roll out the portion for what you need it for, would make it flaky, but overworking the dough with the butter, and lard added would toughen it.

    My recipe is from an old GOURMET magazine, and have used the same recipe for decades, as well...works every time. Strangely enough, Martha Stewart has the same recipe...but of course, she's not admitting that it was from Gourmet, which has been around longer than her magazine.

    Love your filling recipe, but I would use a milder cheese for this one; perhaps, Goat Cheese, and omit the Parmesan. I do love new young and tender wax beans...only problem, we hardly have it available in our markets, so I will stick to the green beans which is always fresh and ready to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth goat cheese has a stronger flavour than creamy feta and the flaked parmesan is so little it just makes the top brown nicely.

      Sometimes there is more than one way to arrive at the same spot. But I never had a lighter, flakier or tastier pie pastry than mine, even if the method goes against culinary conventions. I get the point when people want to avoid slaughtering animals. But otherwise fat is fat. Or is it?

      Crisco is actually worse for the human body than lard. Shortening is a synthetic substitute foisted on North America during the last century and has proven to be a much bigger health hazard because it contains trans fats. On the other hand lard is mostly monounsaturated, which is healthier than saturated fat. And even the saturated fat in lard has a neutral effect on blood cholesterol. Not to mention that lard has a higher smoking point than other fats, allowing foods like chicken to absorb less grease when fried in it.

      Fat has its definite upsides. The body converts it to fuel, and it helps absorb nutrients, particularly calcium and vitamins. The fat free craze just opened the door to more faux foods and faux ingredients. That way all that GMO corn and soybean can be sold to the health conscious public. We stopped cooking with lard and look how fat we got. Something is not right here.




      Delete
  4. I made a batch of your pie crust a couple of days ago and finally had a chance to make the tartlets today. They were amazing ... the filling was creamy and richer than the best quiche I've ever made. I didn't have any shallots so I used 2 green onions and 1/2 tbsp of roasted garlic from my freezer but the asparagus version was SO good.

    I divided the crust into 4 portions and made 5 x 4 1/2" pies in aluminum pot pie tins instead of ramekins. I'll post pics of my results after I make a batch of butter or pecan tarts with the other portion that I kept in the fridge after freezing the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check it out Maria. I am still catching up with the comments here. Thanks for letting me know you liked the recipe.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive