WAX BEAN TARTLETS - ZÖLDBABOS TARTE
Oh my. These are dangerously good. But you do need a good pie pastry, which I do have here, because pastry enjoyment is an essential part of these tartlets. I found the recipe on a Hungarian site called Dining Guide. Gabojsza used a pâte brisée, but I am certain my pie pastry is superior. That and I left out the bacon. You do NOT need bacon or bacon fat for this. This is already an insanely rich treat. There comes a point when too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing. Ah but these tartlets were heavenly, and yes, you can make it with other steamed vegetables, the filling need not be wax beans. I used 3 large ramekins; smaller ones would not give balance between pastry and filling. Consequently, I could only make three tartlets from the filling. But one tart is more than enough for one person. With a salad you have a perfect meal for two and you can fight over the third tartlet the following day. I gave it to my constant friend and lately food taster Ann, who picked it up and brought back the ramekin with two words; “More please!”
1/4 batch of pie pastry
3 large ramekins
200 g tender, young wax beans [2/3 cup chopped]
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 whole shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
few sprigs of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled [250 g]
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp flaked parmesan
ground pepper to taste
• Use only fresh tender wax beans. Mature, stringy beans are not recommended.
• Use creamy feta. If the feta is very salty, soak in cold water for a couple of hours before use.
• Make the pie pastry first and then set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 400F.
• Wash the wax beans and remove the top ends only. Young beans are not stringy and you can also leave on the tails.
• Cut up the wax beans into inch long pieces and blanch them in boiling water for 3 minutes.
• Drain the beans and set them aside.
• In a small non stick skillet, sauté the chopped shallot and garlic they soften Do not brown.
• Remove skillet from the heat and add the wax beans.
• Transfer the mixture to a smaller bowl.
• Add the chopped parsley, the beaten egg, the crumbled feta, the whipping cream and gently combine.
• Season the mixture with ground pepper. Do NOT add salt, the feta will make the filling sufficiently seasoned with salt.
• Roll out the pastry into 3 large circles and fully line the ramekins.
• Divide the filling between the ramekins.
• Place in the oven and bake the tartlets for 25 minutes.
• After 25 minutes reduce the heat to 375F and bake until the tops get a nice golden color.
• Remove the tartlets from the oven.
• Tartlets can be served piping hot in the ramekins.
• If you want them served on their own, let them cool down so they can be handled.
• Hot or warm, serve the tartlets with a green salad.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (95)
- PEACHY CHEESE TART – SAJTOS BARACKOS LEVELES TÉSZT...
- EGGPLANT PARMESAN
- FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
- FOOD DEHYDRATOR
- PIZZA BREAD
- MOLTEN LAVA CAKES
- APRICOT MERINGUE PIE
- WAX BEAN TARTLETS - ZÖLDBABOS TARTE
- APRICOT FETA SALAD
- SASHA GORA SALAD DRESSING
- APRICOT SPINACH SALAD
- MARZIPAN APRICOT CAKE BARS - MARCIPÁNOS BARACKPITE...
- APRICOT PASTRY TART
- ▼ August (14)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)