image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

24.10.13

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE NUT BARS


From the age of five until I got married my family lived in a second storey small apartment in the busiest section of Budapest: the VIIth District near the Keleti Railway Terminal. My father worked, ate and slept in that apartment. He had a tiny dental lab partitioned off our kitchen and worked day and night seldom going out. Those few occasions that he would leave to visit a friend or run a work related errand, he never came home empty handed. We looked forward to the little brown bag he would bring us from the cukorbolt [candy store]. Sometimes there were shelled hazelnuts, or chestnuts and once in a while he brought home some peanuts. I liked the peanuts, but I never took to peanut butter. Then last year I discovered Adams 100% Natural Peanut Butter. It has no added sugar, no stabilizer, no preservatives, no added shortening, less than 1% salt and best of all; it actually tastes like roasted peanuts, because essentially that is what Adams Peanut Butter is; mashed up roasted peanuts. I will never be a peanut butter fan, but I can take a little Adam’s now and then. The taste reminds me of Apa and those little brown bags.

My parents in the "new" lab a decade later
If you think this one was small you should have seen the old one 

 
1/2 cup 100% natural peanut butter, smooth
1/2 cup organic tahini
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup light corn syrup
4 cups lightly crushed corn flakes
1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped almonds
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut
1 cup pure chocolate chips
 
• Line a 13X9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
• Place the corn flakes, 1 cup of chopped almonds and the coconut in a large bowl.
• Next combine the peanut butter, tahini, brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a saucepan.
• On medium heat bring the mixture to a slow simmer and simmer for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn it.
• Remove from the heat and stir into the corn flake mixture.
• When well combined, spread the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top and pressing down. [I used a potato masher]
• Partially melt the chocolate chips in a microwave, and stir it smooth.
• Spread the top of the bar with the melted chocolate.
• While still hot, sprinkle the remaining almonds on the top.
• Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firmly set.
• Use a sharp knife to cut into bars.

6 comments:

  1. I don't dislike peanut butter but I can take it or leave it. I prefer crunching away on dry roasted peanuts. The nut bars sound like they're full of tasty goodness. :) Do you have to keep them refrigerated or can they travel in a lunch bag?

    I've been doing some more baking myself. I have no idea why but I'm clearing out some of my stash of printed dessert recipes. I finally made a sticky date pudding (cake) but I'm going to take it to work (with the rest of the almond florentines) with me and hopefully get rid of the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, to the best of my recall you can take it in a lunch bag. I made them over a month ago.

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful…they would be a huge hit in my house…peanut butter is a favorite! When I was a child my Lebanese grandmother used to mix tahini and molasses and spread it on bread for us…one of my favorite treats! I will have to give these bars a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I discovered tahini after my oldest child developed food allergies. I always have a jar in my freezer. Tahini and molasses sound pretty good on a good slice of bread. :-)

      Delete
  3. Zsuzsa, I love the photograph of your parents... I enjoy peanut butter if it's smooth and not oily... I used to manage a fresh food market and the health food store there ground peanuts to butter... I took school groups around the markets and the kids were always fascinated by this. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. I love this photo of them.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive