image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

31.10.13

PUMPKIN PIE

… and many other worthy things.
 
Scroll down for the recipe
 

I think the last costumes I made for my two grandchildren who live in California was a cross between a princess and a witch for the girl and Dracula for the boy. Kristen’s was goth and beautiful and Josh’s was suave and debonair. She was charming of course, but I was sorry to see him with fake blood and horrid eye makeup. But that was quite a few years ago. After that they had other plans such as growing up. Costume making has been a little more rewarding for Olivia, she doesn’t favor the macabre, and in fact she has been emphatic about never wanting to be anything scary or gross for Halloween. I go all out with the costumes and they end up costing me far more than anything the stores sell. Well that’s just fine with me, I could never relate to dressing up to a bloody, half dead trauma patient for fun. But that’s just me so I continue to make beautiful costumes for the girl as long as she wants them.
 
Pumpkins! The giant all American monstrosities, tasteless and full of water are only good for jack-o'-lanterns and when finished composting. Trust me; it’s not worth the trouble to cook them. There is an actual pie pumpkin, much smaller and of course more flavourful than the jack-o'-lantern. But still not as good as the European pumpkin, the type street vendors used to sell from their drum stoves along with roasted chestnuts in times long gone.  I hold onto the romantic notion that the vendors still come out on chilly days in old Budapest...
 
After I get the girl from school today we will get a couple of pizzas and head up the hill for a quick bite and to record her getting ready to go out trick or treating with a girlfriend and the little cousin. When they leave the house I am coming home to hand out mini chocolate bars to the neighbouring kids. Once again the front yard is covered with maple leaves, its fun wading through the crunchy leaves. When the tricksters are gone I am hoping for a wind to carry the leaves next door haha, that way there will be less to rake into bags. Going by events of previous years, the next door’s tree will add to our pile. I can’t rake at the moment, the man won’t let me so I suppose once again it will be all up to him to tidy up the front yard. Have a great Halloween!


CHEF JOHN’S PUMPKIN PIE

I used to be on the opinion that people should eat their annual slice of pumpkin pie and be done with it until next Thanksgiving or whatever they happen to be celebrating. Then I tried Chef John’s recipe. It went like wildfire.
 
2 cups of pumpkin puree
3 egg yolks
1 large egg
1 [300 ml] can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
whipped cream for serving

• Preheat oven to 425 F.
• Whisk together pumpkin puree, egg yolks, and egg in a large bowl until smooth.
• Add sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg.
• Whisk until thoroughly combined.
• Fit pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate and crimp edges.
• Pour filling into the pie shell and lightly tap on the work surface to release any air bubbles.
• Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
• Reduce heat to 350 F and bake until just set in the middle, 30 to 40 minutes.
• A paring knife inserted into the filling, 1 inch from the crust, should come out clean.
• Allow to cool completely before serving.

Watch Chef John’s video


21 comments:

  1. Dear Zsuzsa, I love your posts and all the recepies. I make all the hungarian dishes from your posts and they never let me down. Thanks so much for taking the time to write them in english and writing the measurments for the tools we now have. Do you make kokuszos kocka? I hope you do because the recipes I tried did not turn out so well and your recipes never fail. Last weekend also made your Beigli recipe. They tasted so great just like I remembered them. My only problem was they split on the side and I am not sure why. I would love your suggestions on how to fix that. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Agi for reminding me of the kokuszos! My daughter will be delighted. Don't worry about the beigli splitting. It could be that the fillings had more moisture than was needed or that your pastry layer was a bit thinner or that the beigli rolls fused together. Sometimes they do that no matter what you do and I have long given up worrying about it.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a pumpkin fan and even though the cheesecakes I've made in the past (and the bars with the remaining pumpkin puree) were great, according to those who got to eat them, I won't be making anything with pumpkin unless someone requests it directly. :)

    My brother and SIL buy cabbage rolls, beigli, pierogi and sausages from the local Hungarian church's sale. I'm tempted to get in on the order which should let me get the great taste of those Hungarian dishes without going to the trouble of making them myself. I'm still hoping to make some of the great cakes/tortes you've posted one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria I am not a huge pumpkin pie fan either and if truth be told the only way I really enjoy pumpkin is in a pumpkin loaf I make with white chocolate drizzles. But my husband has a wholly Canadian pallet with very little food memories from the old country. His dad never came home from the war so they were very poor and often went hungry. To the good stuff he got introduced through my cooking. Anyways, he has to have a pumpkin pie every year and I didn't make it for this thanksgiving. I will have an apple pie bake off on the weekend so I thought I throw in a pumpkin pie for him.

      Well the only way to enjoy authentic Hungarian cooking outside of making it yourself is getting it from a Hungarian cook. I hope you get a chance to try some of the good stuff.

      Delete
  3. As much as my Canadian born wife loves pumpkin pies, I can't abide the stuff. Having been raised on pumpkin slices roasted over a charcoal brazier as sold by the street vendors near the opera house on Jozsef Korut spoiled any chance of that. I have been searching for the right pumpkin for over 50 years now, but without success. *#!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laszlo why not order some seeds from Hungary? The soil may not be the same, but growing from authentic seed is about the only thing you can do to come close to the real stuff. Ah those pumpkins roasted by street vendors were heavenly!

      Delete
  4. Zsuzsa, we are huge pumpkin fans in my family...not just all pumpkin, but all kinds of squash, and sweet potatoes as well. Knowing the great health benefits that come from these are very comforting and already feeling healthier!
    For our Thanskgiving; here in the U.S. pumpkin pie is a must! Both my daughter and I bake a homemade pie with homemade crust...of course; she makes the pumpkin pie, and I make sweet potato pie and those two are the most popular desserts at our festive table!

    Olivia looks sooo sweet, and serine in her Little Red Riding Hood costume. I wish I could have some of those fall leaves sent my way here in S. Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can Jim come over Elisabeth? He just loves pumpkin pie. I would gladly give you some of these leaves Elisabeth. The neigbours have a mature maple next door as well and the two trees are nearly touching. We have a mound of leaves each fall...

      Yes the Ridinghood was a great costume. None of my photos worked this year over at Leilah's so I am hoping to take a few in the afternoon light at my house next week.

      Delete
  5. i was making dinner last weekend and got some butternut squash to roast. the smell reminded by dad the roasted pumpkin they used to sell in the "piac" in arad years and years and years ago... thanks for sharing your story and can't wait for your pumpkin pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Zsuzsa for painting a picture of your part of the world during Halloween and fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy this is a fun time for the kids. I thoroughly enjoyed all my little visitors, but the cutest were a couple of giggling teen girls with matching pillowcases for their treats. They were a little embarrassed - they probably got a few comments about being too old for going around -- but I thought... well enjoy it ladies while it lasts.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry but I'm with Olivia! I never wanted to be anything but a "pretty lady" with my Mom's wigs, makeup, nail polish and shoes! I shall have to dig out my pictures one of these days and post them. Thanks for the memory. We always made our costumes by hand too, it's such a lost skill these days. Your grandchildren are very fortunate to have such a talented Nagymama!
    Pumpkin pie is certainly a North American favourite and not one I am particularly fond of which helps with the calories!
    I'm still having trouble commenting from my iPhone hence the reason I have been away, but I have certainly been reading your lovely blog.
    Eva Kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eva and do post your girly Halloween photos if you have a chance. :-)

      Delete
  8. Zsuzsa, You are a very talented lady! I’m sure Olivia is very proud of the beautiful costume you made for her. She makes a beautiful Red Riding Hood! I will be waiting for your pumpkin pie. I go to a farm stand by me for the pumpkins I use for pie. They have what is called a milk pumpkin, and it is much sweeter and perfect for cooking down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Kathy. The pie pumpkins are very different from the large Halloween pumpkins. I am sure you make a marvelous pie. Your Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Will you be making a pumpkin pie?

      Delete
  9. Yay, pumpkin pie recipe. That reminds me, I just used the last of your pie crust pastry that I made and used for the feta tartlets, pecan pie and two kinds of quiche and need to make another batch. I had divided the pastry into four portions and froze them individually to thaw as needed. They stored well for several months.

    Do you enjoy pumpkin pie more now that you've tried this new recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria that's very flattering you enjoy my pie pastry. To answer your question, yes, unfortunately I did enjoy this pumpkin pie.

      Delete
    2. It's a very flaky pastry recipe and now that I've gotten the hang of rolling it out properly, easy to use.

      I'm curious why it's unfortunate that you like the pumpkin pie. Do you want to make it all the time or can you just stick to once a year? :)

      Delete
    3. Who would have thought I would crave pumpkin pie! With both of our friends away and my husband eating one slice a day it proved to be a temptation I would not normally have had. Finally one friend came home and the pie was finished.

      Delete
    4. Good to hear. I'm usually happy to see the end of desserts when I've chose to keep them for myself rather than give them away immediately. :)

      Did I mention that someone asked for the recipe for the florentines (actually 2 people asked for that one) and the sticky date pudding after tasting them? If I did, it's worth repeating. :)

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive