image

image

MY COOKBOOK

30.3.14

SEMOLINA – GRÍZ

 
And Those Semolina Soup Dumplings 

I keep getting questions from people about semolina, farina, cream of wheat and wheatlets and of course about those semolina soup dumplings Hungarians like in their soups. 

First let’s talk about Semolina! In botanical terms, semolina is the endosperm [starch portion] of the wheat grain. From coarse grain to fine grain, semolina is always granular. The color can be from bright yellow to creamy white. 

Semolina, farina, cream of wheat and wheatlets are one and the same thing with only minute differences. You find them with the hot cereals or near the flours. Sometimes they will be in the Italian, East Indian or the Health Food section of the store. The differences are minor, weather you buy semolina, cream of wheat, farina or wheatlets, you are basically buying the same thing. Just never get it in instant porridge form or worse yet in small serving sized packets. Those things taste bad and you cannot use them for any other purpose than what they were designed for. 

The next problem is making the gríznokedli, those fluffy, yummy soup dumplings. Depending on the size of the egg and the type of semolina you use, the dumplings sometimes turn out a bit hard or so soft they fall apart during cooking. The semolina dumpling recipe I have on my blog, called FARINA SOUP DUMPLINGS - GRÍZ NOKEDLI  may or may not work, depending on the variables that exist, such as measuring, size of the egg and the type of semolina used.  

Making semolina soup dumplings was always a challenge. If you don't make these often, sometimes they work for you and sometimes they won't work. I recall conversations about the various tricks cooks used to get these dumplings large and fluffy every time. But none of those tricks work under the wrong conditions. I had my own failures over the years too and I came to the conclusion that nothing replaces time and experience. I tried to think how to translate experience into a foolproof recipe if there was such a thing. But aside from measuring out everything in grams, including the white and the yolk separately, one has to rely on experience. 

A couple of years ago I came up with a solution to get fluffy and yet stable semolina dumplings every time. Flour is more stable than semolina right? So add a bit of all purpose flour to the mixture. The flour will alter the dumplings' flavor ever so slightly and the texture will be a bit spongier, but they will remain soft and won't fall apart during cooking. And even with the added flour they will still be semolina dumplings. 

I put the recipe in picture form. You start with an egg. Add some semolina, stir, add some flour and stir again. Dip the spoon into the simmering water and scoop up a bit of batter. Submerge it in the simmering water and the little dumpling will slide off your spoon. As the dumplings cook they grow. Repeat until you use up all the batter. It’s easy.










9 comments:

  1. One of my absolute favourites! Yummy! Love the hints. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy! Desperation is the mother of invention yes?

      Delete
    2. Ps the link in the post doesn't seem to work xo

      Delete
    3. And yet here it is. But that's Blogger for ya! :-)

      Delete
  2. Not only did my mom serve this as a cereal for breakfast but she also made them into dumplings like this ... but only very occasionally. Which was a shame cause I would have really enjoyed them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had cream of wheat for breakfast yesterday. My mother used to make it for us for supper. Supper used to be a light meal and our main meal was at noon or at early afternoon. It was workable, because we had half days at school, we had either morning or afternoon days. Saturday used to be a regular work and school day in Hungary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I back-tracked to your posts that I missed...Semolina dumplings were-are my favorites in chicken soup. I actually have not made my own, because every female in my family made them to perfection; I'm very good with homemade matzo balls that my family loves, and asks for...just think how they would love the Semolina version ...of the matzo balls. Will give it a try...thanks for sharing, dear friend! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but who needs these when you can have matzo balls? I love those things, but I cannot make them. Will you make some Elisabeth?

      Delete

me

My Photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 800 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

regarding comments

Comments from food bloggers [some of whom may or may not have commercial content on their blog] are always welcome. Comments left on my older posts are moderated to keep away spam and may not appear immediately. But since I choose not to allow advertising on my own blog, I will not allow comments with obvious commercial links. If you don't have a blog you can always comment with a Google account or anonymously.

Blog Archive