image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

14.3.14

VANILLA CRESCENT - VANÍLIÁS KIFLI


Reminiscent of Walnut Crescents, the original vanilla crescent is rolled into confectioner sugar. I finished mine with chocolate squiggles. Some people like chocolate a little too much. Grinding the almonds into a fine meal requires a commercial grade grinder or something. A run of the mill [no pun intended] food processor could never accomplish the fine grains that are required. It is best to buy the almond meal. It's one of my staples; I keep a large bag of almond meal in the freezer. 

7/8 cup butter at room temperature 
7/8 cup sugar 
1 egg 
1/4 cup almond meal 
1 Tbsp homemade vanilla sugar or 1 packet store-bought 
2 cups flour 
1 cup pure chocolate chips 

• Beat the butter and the sugar until frothy. 
• Beat in the egg and the vanilla sugar. 
• Reduce the speed to low medium. 
• Gradually add the flour and stir to combine. 
• Finally add the almond meal. 
• Place the dough on a lightly floured board and kneed it until smooth. 
• Roll the dough into 1 inch thick ropes, and lay them in a parchment lined pan. 
• Cover with plastic and refrigerate the rolled dough for about an hour. 
• Preheat oven to 375F. • Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper. 
• Transfer the chilled dough to the board and cut into 2 inch segments. 
• Roll them into crescent shape and place them on the prepared baking sheets. 
• Bake the crescents for 12-15 minutes. 
• Remove from the oven when the bottoms are starting to get a little color. 
• Let the crescents cool. 
• Meanwhile partially melt the chocolate chips with a few tablespoons of water in the microwave. 
• Stir until glossy. • Pipe the melted chocolate on the tops. 
• Let the chocolate solidify for a couple of hours before serving. 
• Or simply roll the lukewarm crescents into icing sugar.






9 comments:

  1. I remember my dear Mom making these a few times, but she actually rolled them in powdered sugar. I think every nationality has this type of cookie, but these don't look nearly as dense as the Italian versions.
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are softer and I knew them rolled into powdered sugar too. As much as I like Italian food, I have not been impressed with Italian pastry making abilities. Great pastry making seems to be an Austrian/Hungarian skill.

      Delete
  2. Such pretty decorations. My mom didn't like almonds for some reason so we only ever had walnut crescents. I understand the chocolate obsession. It's what I threw on top of the layered cake I made to hide its imperfections.

    As to grinding almonds, I do the best I can with my inexpensive food processor. Luckily it's gotten the almonds fine enough for my purposes to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I use it I will post a photo of the almond meal. It's kind of powdery.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I'd be curious to see it. I can pass my almond meal through a coarse metal strainer so it's pretty fine.

      Delete
  3. Ah, vanilias kifli, I adore you. Thank you Zsuzsa for the memories and a lovely recipe xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you dear Lizzy. I have 3 sweet kifli food memories. The vanilla kifli, the walnut paste filled kifli and the walnut kifli with ground walnuts mixed right into the dough. All these versions were rolled into powdered sugar. So I have one more to make.

      Delete
  4. Another recipe, that I do not know...although I have heard of this kifli, as well! Absolutely gorgeous, and oh, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I will make it again rolled into powdered sugar. I will add the photo, but I won't do a separate write up.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive