image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

16.4.14

PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE BARS


Ah the love of peanut butter! I never got into it myself, but everyone else in this family LOVES peanut butter. Did you know there is a National Peanut Butter Lover's Day in the United States? Canadians are not as weird as that or are they? The Canada Food Guide of yesteryears had a daily peanut butter intake, for some days even twice, which I never followed anyway. Even back then I knew it was hogwash. I wish now I kept an old issue for a laugh. But the love of peanut butter has been curbed, because more and more people are allergic to it. Olivia can’t take nuts [any nuts] to school anymore. Could it be that we overdosed on peanut butter? Hard to say, but the one thing is certain I would never miss the stuff if it disappeared for good. But since I cook to please even I will do the occasional peanut butter recipe.

Teeth? What about the roof of your mouth?

Peanuts was a syndicated comic strip written and illustrated by Charles M. Schulz.

  
10 Sticky Facts About Peanut Butter

This yummy peanut butter recipe was adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker. I had a couple of bars myself, and I surprisingly enjoyed them when they first came out of the oven. This had to have been in no small part due to the quality of Adam’s, which is the brand of  peanut butter I use. It has no additives, no fillers and it actually tastes like roasted peanuts, which essentially what Adam’s is. All that Adam's contain is: peanuts. What does your peanut butter contain? The same with the chopped block chocolate I used. No brand of chocolate chip can come close to Callebaut. I can’t stress enough the importance of quality, use quality ingredients and they will always make the foods you make taste good. 

1-1/2 cups flour 
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1/4 tsp salt 
3/4 cup brown sugar 
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 
1/2 cup sugar 
1 egg 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
1 cup good quality dark chocolate, chopped 

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 
• Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper. 
• In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set it aside. 
• In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the brown sugar, peanut butter, butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy and light. 
• Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined. 
• Reduce the speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until the flour is just incorporated. 
• Add the chopped chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. 
• Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan and lightly press into an even layer. 
• Place in the preheated oven and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until the center is set. 
• Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. 
• Cut into bars and store at room temperature in an airtight container.





6 comments:

  1. I can imagine that the bars very popular among peanut butter fans like the cookies would be.

    I'm not a fan of peanut butter, either. I have nothing against it, per se, but it's not a must have in my diet. The same jar can stay in my fridge for a year or more after being opened for a particular purpose. One of my favourite sandwiches is made with peanut butter and warm ham sliced from the bone, and of course, there's chicken or pork sate/satay but peanut butter cookies aren't made more than once in 5 years or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe its popularity has to do with frugality and convenience. And because parents thought it was a good protein substitute. If you have something constantly as a kid you can actually learn to like it. Fortunately I was not introduced to peanut butter as a child. 99.9% of peanut butter sold today is anything but healthy. It's an over processed commodity and if it wasn't for Adam's I would never buy it. I stopped buying Nutella for that reason. I actually like the taste of Nutella, but I don't like the fact that the first ingredient listed happens to be sugar.

      Delete
  2. Zsuzsa, we all love peanut butter in my family, and eat it on crackers for snacks. I also like to spread it on celery sticks...sounds weird, but actually so healthy and satisfies the snack cravings.
    I absolutely love your amazing cookie bars with the chocolate chunks, and the recipe is superb. I wish I could have a nice chunk now with ice cold milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this Elisabeth, I am sure you will like it. I wish you could have been here when I pulled it out of the oven. It went like wildfire. I am more of a plain keksz snacker myself. Just one little keksz -- you know a bit of what we called "szaraz fajdalom"... haha

      Delete
  3. Hi Zsuzsa, I once read that peanuts were never meant to be eaten, the plants were used to cleanse the fields for the next planting, which makes sense why so many people are allergic to it. I like peanut butter but only the natural kind (we used to buy it from our health food store but now we make it ourselves). We use just peanuts, a little salt and a little canola oil and we leave it relatively crunchy. We just made a delicious batch.
    Peanut butter bars are a family favourite, I have been making them since I was 12 and my brother (10) gave me a sweets cookbook with the inscription, "this is really for me, in the long run."
    I will bookmark this recipe to try for Christmas baking.
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no mold free peanut. Natural or not, it is the mold on the peanut that people are allergic to, not the peanut itself. Making your own peanut butter eliminates the additives, which is a good thing, but it will still contain the mold that people are allergic to. Most lethal food allergies are mold related. Your brother was a smart peanut.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive