image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

12.4.14

PUFF PASTRY WITH CHOCOLATE


Puff pastry is the only commercially made pastry product I am willing to use. It has a little less substance and is a bit leafier, but it still bakes up into a darn good pastry. I used half a package of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and made eight good sized pastries. The chocolate is dark Callebaut. Chop the chocolate and simply follow the baking instructions on the box. As soon as the pastry begins to get a golden hue, take them out, because these burn easily. I would have liked to put a few raspberries next to the chocolate pieces myself, but then not everyone likes raspberries. It’s was a nice treat nevertheless.

There used to be a miniature candy bar, actually it was nougat, and it was called “BUM SZELET”. Bum means bang in Hungarian. It was a tiny, cheap revolting confection and it cost 1 forint back in the sixties. I don’t think it had chocolate in it, but this old couple of the family used to bring each of us kids a “BUM Csoki” on Thursdays. Even with our limited experience with good chocolate we thanked them and then left our BUMs on the table. We never ate them. After gifting us with the BUMs, Erzsi néni and Bendi bácsi made a b line to the table and stuffed themselves with grandmother’s pastries. Between mouthfuls we got to hear the latest news on Erzsi néni’s knee pains. Aren't children cruel and observant? I have to admit they were not alone picking Thursdays to drop by; Thursdays were baking days at the Vári house. Here I am sitting with my newly operated knee and thoughts of Erzsi néni’s knees and BUM Csoki float by. I don’t know if it’s my knee or the memory of BUM Csoki that pains me more.


1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry, thawed 
1cup of good quality chopped dark chocolate 
1 egg 
1 Tbsp water 

• For best result thaw the puff pastry in the fridge overnight. 
• Heat the oven to 400F. 
• Roll half of the pastry into a 12-inch square. Always roll from the center outward and avoid stretching the dough by hand. 
• Cut the dough into 9 squares. 
• Arrange the chopped chocolate in the middle of the squares. 
• Orient the square so a corner is pointed away from you. Fold this corner down just past the filling and press firmly to seal. 
• Then fold over to one side, forming an open-ended envelope. 
• Brush the filled pastries with the egg mixture. 
• Place the pastries onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets. 
• Bake the pastries for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful this burns easily. 
• Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.

10 comments:

  1. Chocolate is salad - Amen to that!!!! :) You're killing me Zsuzsa!! I love chocolate pastry and these look absolutely divine!!! Bummer are your knee!!! I've been gone so long that I didn't know you were having surgery. Did you have to have a total knee replacement? Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Peach Lady, not as complex as that. I fell off the stairs carrying 2 pies, 15 or 20 years ago. The pies were fine My left leg twisted out the most unnatural way possible. I had some physio at the time. Now that I am getting older and osteo arthritis is setting into my joints, this very knee stopped functioning about 2 years ago. Finally they went in and cleaned out the mess inside and now I am starting on the road of recovery. I will never do the splits, but hopefully I can go for a walk in a month or two.

      Delete
  2. I have a package of this brand of puff pastry thawing in my fridge. Some kids ARE able to distinguish between good and poor chocolate. :) Although I'm not going to use chocolate in the dessert I'm making tomorrow, I think the filling I AM going to use will make for a tasty dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to chocolate I know [in the biblical sense] only 2 brands. Callebaut and Purdy's. I haven't been to the store for two weeks, but by now they must be inundated with those horrible Easter chocolates. Revolting things they are. Easter used to break my valet shopping at Purdy's for the kids. I ruined their taste buds for life. I will check out your dessert Maria. It must have been delish!

      Delete
  3. I wish you a speedy recovery and lots of good chocolate! This recipie looks scrumtious. Can' t wait to buy some puff pastry so that I can try this.
    I had bilateral knee replacements about 7 years ago and my right shoulder was replced a year ago all dute to psoriatic arthritis. When I am having lots of pain I like to research recipies and your blog is always on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith you are most kind. I checked out what psoriatic arthritis is the first time you mentioned it and it doesn't look like fun. Not that osteo arthritis is, but it is always humbling to take note when others have bigger problems.

      Delete
  4. Dear Zsuzsa, hope you are on the mend… get well and up and about soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I made a cake yesterday I had a lot of pain, but yes thank you Lizzy I am on the mend.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you're recovering from the knee surgery. I had my left knee operated on when I was 17-18 ( 40 yrs ago) to remove bone fragments and tighten up ligaments and still remember hobbling around with my crutches and then cane. I swear it was more painful than when I had my hip replacements.

    The puff pastry dessert I made was very pretty and I used the rest of the package for a quiche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I recover, I will start on my ankles. I can barely walk down the street. The surgeon said ankles can be fixed too. I would LOVE to dance and go for long walks again. I inherited joint problems from both of my parents. I will take a look at what you have been up to Maria.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive