image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

8.5.14

STIR FRIED NAPA CABBAGE


Napa or nappa cabbage, also known as celery cabbage, is a type of cabbage originating near the Beijing region of China, and is widely used in East Asian cuisine. In much of the world, this is the vegetable referred to as "Chinese cabbage" 

The recipe was inspired by this picture. At first I wasn’t sure what the golden coloured bits were, but the description revealed it was garlic. The recipe… well I didn’t follow the recipe. All I wanted was a dish of napa cabbage and that is what I cooked up. 

Removing the leaves, they looked so clean, I thought to myself if I used the entire cabbage I may not have to wash this leaf by leaf, but then I found a bit of dirt between a couple of the leaves and that settled it for me. Drying it was a bit of a bother though, because moisture really clings to the leaves. In fact the first time I stir fried napa cabbage there was an inordinate amount of liquid left in the pan and the cabbage was as soggy as if it came from a Chinese takeout. The other mistake I made was frying up five cloves of garlic to put on top, forgetting that my hubby picked up the requested USA grown garlic which is far more potent than its Chinese counterpart. [By late spring there is no local garlic left] So the following day armed with experience I cooked up a new dish of napa cabbage. Using up two kitchen towels and completely drying the leaves worked well and my stir fried napa cabbage was a success. 

If I liked shrimp I admit it would have gone well with the cabbage, but shrimp and I are not friends. In full armor it looks like an insect and disrobed it's just a fat little worm. Potentially I could sprinkle bits of crispy bacon on top next time, now there is a thought! 

And speaking of worms our environmentalist friend was lamenting on invasive species [this time on the disappearing morning dove and that the earthworm is not native to North America] when he last came for my pie[s]. Well I checked it out and he was wrong about the earthworms on both accounts. North America was never wormless. Although Europeans brought in 13 species of earthworms, [probably with food] but the 19 North American earthworm species have not been taken over besides we have areas no other earthworm could survive. We live in the age of [mis]information. Always check out the source; does it sell something, does it represent some type of cause or special interest, is it factual and unbiased and in this case does it come from a respectable science site and not from some esoteric pseudoscience source. 

Changing the topic, now THIS is nice!

One of many cabbage women created by Chinese artist Yu Duoki 
 Will this make you want to eat your napa cabbage or do you find it a bit cannibalistic?



10 napa cabbage leaves 
1 Tbsp olive oil 
2 cloves of garlic, smashed 
salt and pepper to taste 

• Cut the leaves off the stems. 
• Wash the stems and the leaves under running water and let them drain. 
• Lay the stems and the leaves on kitchen towels and dab them with paper towels until completely dry. 
• Chop the stems and break the leaves into bite size peaces. 
• In a non stick skillet, on medium low heat, fry the smashed garlic in oil until golden. 
 • Scoop out the garlic and set it aside. 
• Add the chopped stems and sauté for two minutes. 
• Add the leaves and sauté until they are bright green. 
• Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. 
• Place in a small serving bowl and add the fried garlic. 
• Amount is perfect for two vegetable sides.


4 comments:

  1. That picture is a bit 'creepy' frankly. Maybe it IS the cannibalistic aspects.

    I'll have to try cooking napa cabbage one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Humans and cabbage share about 40-50% common DNA. 98.5% with the chimp and 70% with slugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Zsuzsa, that is a striking art work! Love the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy I thought so too. It's beautiful.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive