- Wash, hull and chop 200 g of strawberries and set them aside.
- Quarter the rest of the strawberries and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Fully line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar and butter and vanilla extract until frothy.
- Lower the speed and gradually add the flour.
- In a clean bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Transfer the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Level the top with an offset spatula.
- Drop the chopped strawberries onto the cake batter. They will sink to the bottom.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- The cake will be ready when the center springs back when gently pressed.
- Meanwhile prepare the 5 strawberries for decoration.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Lightly score the top into nine squares.
- Sprinkle the top with icing sugar.
- Place 9 strawberry halves in the center of each square.
STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES PITE
I always loved strawberries. I remember my mom bottling strawberries once. I watched her packing the precious fruit into the bottles and wondered about the futility of four small jars. She said it would be nice to have a taste of spring in winter. Those strawberries never made it to winter; all of it was gone in a week. But I understood.
I never would have thought that one day I will have the luxury of year around strawberries. Most of it comes up from
California. They are very nice before Christmas,
Valentines Day and Easter. But the very best strawberries are locally grown.
200 g fresh strawberries, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup soft butter
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
5 even sized fresh strawberries cut in half for decoration
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- QUICK DOUGHNUT HOLES
- APPLE WALNUT SLICE - ALMÁS DIÓS PITE
- CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- CHERRY CRUMBLE PIE BARS
- STRAWBERRY BARS - EPRES PITE
- CHOCOLATE CHIP GRANOLA BARS
- STUFFED PORK LOIN
- BEETROOT FETA AND WALNUT SALAD
- FLAKY ALMOND SQUARES
- STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- RED WINE RICE WITH DUCK
- GANACHE SANDWICH COOKIES
- EASY CHERRY DANISHES
- YO 5 MINUTE SUPPER
- STUFFED WILD SALMON
- CHERRY KUCHEN BARS
- DILLED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH SOUR CREAM - KAPROS T...
- PASTA WITH TOMATOES AND SPINACH
- HOMEMADE CHERRY PIE FILLING
- LEMON FETA ROASTED POTATOES
- COCONUT CAKE
- BAKED BEANS
- PASTA WITH PEAS - ZÖLDBORSÓS TÉSZTA
- FRESH CHERRY SAUCE
- WILTED BEET GREENS
- APPLE AND BEETROOT SALAD
- CHERRY STRUDEL - CSERESZNYÉS RÉTES
- ▼ July (27)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)