image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

27.9.15

BRANDY YOGURT CAKE


To replace the cold drink with a hot one, here is a bit of an afternoon-delight for those “it gets dark too early” teas in the afternoon. Before we rush the girl from one dance lesson to another, when there is time to sit and relax. I throw some fruit at them too, but really, the tea is about the cake. It was not quite at room temperature when I spread on the light frosting. Normally it is not advisable to frost a warm cake, but there is a small window to serve a still slightly warm cake with the frosting. Of course, you can always slice the cake and spread the frosting individually. To literally brandy out, I added some brandy extract to the cake as well as to the frosting. Swoon... this is how I get my alcohol intake without reacting. Is it any wonder I eat to drink? Ha!


Brandy Yogurt Cake

Cake:
2-1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups plain yogurt with high fat content
1-1/4 cups sugar
5 eggs  
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp brandy extract
1 tsp brandy
3/4 cup oil

Brandy Icing:
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup icing sugar

1 Tbsp brandy
1 tsp brandy extract
1/8 cup whipping cream

  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Line a 9X13 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
  • In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  • In another bowl, beat the yogurt, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, brandy extract and brandy on medium speed until well combined.
  • Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  • With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter and fully incorporate.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the cake tester comes out clean.
  • Meanwhile beat the icing ingredients smooth and fluffy.
  • Place the cake pan on a wire rack to cool.
  • When the cake is almost cool to the touch, spread on the frosting, slice and enjoy.



4 comments:

  1. I love a simple bar cake like this. Just a bit of frosting on top. No fancy decorations needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara. My following cake was pure minimalism. :-)

      Delete
  2. Who is the beautiful woman, Zsuzsa? Love the cake as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari Törőcsik is an intelligent, serious Hungarian actress. She received the Kossuth Prize, when it still meant something. She was also Best Actress at Cannes for the film “Mrs. Dery Where Are You?” She appeared in 150 films, including some international productions. When I was a kid she was already a big name and she still is.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive