image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

29.9.15

SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE


Yummy! A casserole such as this and I am almost tempted to become a vegetarian. I had the very last leftover yesterday with steamed green beans and broccoli for dinner. I didn’t miss the meat. Who would have thought sweet potato with spinach could taste so good?

The original recipe called for more than a cup of whipping cream or double cream! I thought good grief another one of those tasty sinful dishes! The first time I made this, I substituted half of the cream with 1% milk. I knew there would be a pool of liquid in the bottom of the baking dish. There was. Nevertheless it was magnificent! The next day when I heated up the leftovers, the liquid by then fully absorbed by the yam, but it was just as good as the day before if not better. I thought of the possibilities. Perhaps make a roux and thicken the milk portion, make a béchamel sauce entirely with milk, or partially bake it and complete it the following day. I opted for half the sin and here is the recipe.  


Sweet Potato Spinach Bake

2 garlic cloves smashed
1 tsp of dried thyme, or 2 fresh sprigs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1 very large sweet potato [mine was 900g]
salt
1 Tbsp flour
butter for greasing or cooking spray
1-1/2 cups of hard cheeses [I used white and orange cheddar]

  • Place the garlic, thyme, milk and cream in a small pot and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Cut the stems off the spinach.
  • Discard the stems and wash the spinach. If the spinach is from the garden, I turn over every leaf and wash it under cold running water. The only protein I will want in this is cheese.
  • Chop the sweet potato into manageable segments, peel, rinse, and slice and set aside.
  • Place the spinach in a bowl and pour over it a kettle of boiling water.
  • Transfer to a colander and let it drain for a few minutes. Then squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside.
  • Put the milk mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the thyme sprigs and the garlic cloves.
  • Place 1 Tbsp of flour in a small bowl and very gradually stir in the milk mixture stirring continuously. Set aside.
  • Butter a medium sized casserole dish.
  • Lay half the sweet potato slices in the dish. Ever so lightly sprinkle with salt.
  • Cover with the fully drained spinach leaves and very lightly sprinkle with salt.
  • Top with the remaining sweet potato slices. [The cheese layer will be salty so I didn’t sprinkle the top with salt.]
  • Pour the milk mixture on the sweet potato slices.
  • Grate the cheese on the top sealing the edges.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes before serving.
  • Serves 6-8. The leftovers are nice reheated.



7 comments:

  1. Am I missing something in reading the recipie? When do you add the milk to the casserole ? I am presuming that it is poured over the top layer before the cheese is sprinkled on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out Judith

      Delete
    2. I would just like to add how thankful I am when someone points to a mistake or an omission -- this really helps me, because I write my recipes from memory.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this looks and sounds quite delicious, Zsuzsa! I could be tempted to become a vego sometimes too, especially with food as good as this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks scrumptious!! But I'm going to make it with a large baking potato- I am not so fond of sweet potatoes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Dolores!

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive