- Place the garlic, thyme, milk and cream in a small pot and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the stems off the spinach.
- Discard the stems and wash the spinach. If the spinach is from the garden, I turn over every leaf and wash it under cold running water. The only protein I will want in this is cheese.
- Chop the sweet potato into manageable segments, peel, rinse, and slice and set aside.
- Place the spinach in a bowl and pour over it a kettle of boiling water.
- Transfer to a colander and let it drain for a few minutes. Then squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside.
- Put the milk mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the thyme sprigs and the garlic cloves.
- Place 1 Tbsp of flour in a small bowl and very gradually stir in the milk mixture stirring continuously. Set aside.
- Butter a medium sized casserole dish.
- Lay half the sweet potato slices in the dish. Ever so lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with the fully drained spinach leaves and very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Top with the remaining sweet potato slices. [The cheese layer will be salty so I didn’t sprinkle the top with salt.]
- Pour the milk mixture on the sweet potato slices.
- Grate the cheese on the top sealing the edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6-8. The leftovers are nice reheated.
SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE
Yummy! A casserole such as this and I am almost tempted to become a vegetarian. I had the very last leftover yesterday with steamed green beans and broccoli for dinner. I didn’t miss the meat. Who would have thought sweet potato with spinach could taste so good?
The original recipe called for more than a cup of whipping cream or double cream! I thought good grief another one of those tasty sinful dishes! The first time I made this, I substituted half of the cream with 1% milk. I knew there would be a pool of liquid in the bottom of the baking dish. There was. Nevertheless it was magnificent! The next day when I heated up the leftovers, the liquid by then fully absorbed by the yam, but it was just as good as the day before if not better. I thought of the possibilities. Perhaps make a roux and thicken the milk portion, make a béchamel sauce entirely with milk, or partially bake it and complete it the following day. I opted for half the sin and here is the recipe.
Sweet Potato Spinach Bake
2 garlic cloves smashed
1 tsp of dried thyme, or 2 fresh sprigs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1 very large sweet potato [mine was 900g]
1 Tbsp flour
butter for greasing or cooking spray
1-1/2 cups of hard cheeses [I used white and orange cheddar]
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- HOT MILK CAKE
- BATTER FRIED BROCCOLI
- SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE
- EGG BREAD
- BRANDY YOGURT CAKE
- COCOA CAKE IN THE PAN
- PORK RATATOUILLE WITH ZUCCHINI - HÚSOS LECSÓ CUKKI...
- OLIVIA CAKE
- ZUCCHINI PATTIES - CUKKINI FASÍRT
- ZUCCHINI TOMATO TART
- TEMESVÁRI PORK SIRLOIN - TEMESVÁRI SERTÉSBORDA
- YORKSHIRE PAN PUDDING
- PEANUT BUTTER BARS
- CHICKEN PIE
- FRESH STRAWBERRY CRUMB BARS
- ZUCCHINI LAYER CAKE
- NUTTY BUTTER COOKIES
- KITCHEN HYGIENE
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)