- Place the garlic, thyme, milk and cream in a small pot and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut the stems off the spinach.
- Discard the stems and wash the spinach. If the spinach is from the garden, I turn over every leaf and wash it under cold running water. The only protein I will want in this is cheese.
- Chop the sweet potato into manageable segments, peel, rinse, and slice and set aside.
- Place the spinach in a bowl and pour over it a kettle of boiling water.
- Transfer to a colander and let it drain for a few minutes. Then squeeze out as much water as possible and set aside.
- Put the milk mixture through a fine sieve. Discard the thyme sprigs and the garlic cloves.
- Place 1 Tbsp of flour in a small bowl and very gradually stir in the milk mixture stirring continuously. Set aside.
- Butter a medium sized casserole dish.
- Lay half the sweet potato slices in the dish. Ever so lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Cover with the fully drained spinach leaves and very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Top with the remaining sweet potato slices. [The cheese layer will be salty so I didn’t sprinkle the top with salt.]
- Pour the milk mixture on the sweet potato slices.
- Grate the cheese on the top sealing the edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6-8. The leftovers are nice reheated.
SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE
Yummy! A casserole such as this and I am almost tempted to become a vegetarian. I had the very last leftover yesterday with steamed green beans and broccoli for dinner. I didn’t miss the meat. Who would have thought sweet potato with spinach could taste so good?
The original recipe called for more than a cup of whipping cream or double cream! I thought good grief another one of those tasty sinful dishes! The first time I made this, I substituted half of the cream with 1% milk. I knew there would be a pool of liquid in the bottom of the baking dish. There was. Nevertheless it was magnificent! The next day when I heated up the leftovers, the liquid by then fully absorbed by the yam, but it was just as good as the day before if not better. I thought of the possibilities. Perhaps make a roux and thicken the milk portion, make a béchamel sauce entirely with milk, or partially bake it and complete it the following day. I opted for half the sin and here is the recipe.
Sweet Potato Spinach Bake
2 garlic cloves smashed
1 tsp of dried thyme, or 2 fresh sprigs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 bunch of fresh spinach
1 very large sweet potato [mine was 900g]
1 Tbsp flour
butter for greasing or cooking spray
1-1/2 cups of hard cheeses [I used white and orange cheddar]
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- HOT MILK CAKE
- BATTER FRIED BROCCOLI
- SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE
- EGG BREAD
- BRANDY YOGURT CAKE
- COCOA CAKE IN THE PAN
- PORK RATATOUILLE WITH ZUCCHINI - HÚSOS LECSÓ CUKKI...
- OLIVIA CAKE
- ZUCCHINI PATTIES - CUKKINI FASÍRT
- ZUCCHINI TOMATO TART
- TEMESVÁRI PORK SIRLOIN - TEMESVÁRI SERTÉSBORDA
- YORKSHIRE PAN PUDDING
- PEANUT BUTTER BARS
- CHICKEN PIE
- FRESH STRAWBERRY CRUMB BARS
- ZUCCHINI LAYER CAKE
- NUTTY BUTTER COOKIES
- KITCHEN HYGIENE
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2014 (94)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (200)