image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

8.9.15

TEMESVÁRI PORK SIRLOIN - TEMESVÁRI SERTÉSBORDA



Sertésborda translates as pork ribs. Except “ribs” identify an entirely different cut of meat [mostly bones] in English. Logistically it makes sense then to call this particular cut pork sirloin.    

This dish is basically a pork paprikás with wax beans. The reason I didn’t call it a paprikás with wax beans is because Temesvári Sertésborda is a well known dish in Hungary. It is a widely held belief to be a Székely dish that originated in the town of Temesvár, now called Timisora. Weather this is true or the dish simply bears a chef’s name, I do not know.

The one and only requirement is to use fresh beans. The flavour would be different with green beans and I would much prefer to use wax beans for this. Interestingly, Hungarians refer to wax beans as zöldbab, which means green beans. I never saw actual green beans when I lived in Hungary and I have never seen wax beans in Canada, [though I suspect larger centers would have them] so I wholly rely on my husband’s green thumb for wax beans. But alas the growing season is short and I must take advantage of it while the wax beans are tender. How young and tender the wax beans are makes a huge difference. Overripe wax beans cook up tough, stringy and in parts mushy. I did not make a vibrantly red paprikás and I left out the bacon to preserve the delicate flavour of wax beans. The original dish incorporates bacon slices; yes, the baconator is not exclusively American. I don't believe this dish requires added bacon, but maybe the bacon is what makes it a Székely dish.  If you recall the Erdélyi Fatányéros is topped with bacon as well.

Note: Temesvár was a major city in Erdély when it was part of the Astro-Hungarian Empire. Today the city is known as Timisoara in Transylvania and is part of Romania. Székely or Szekler is a Hungarian subgroup living mostly in Erdély/ Transylvania.


Temesvári Pork Sirloin

6-8 slices of pork sirloin
2 Tbsp flour
Chef’s Salt to taste [or salt and pepper]
3 Tbsp oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
a large handful of fresh, tender wax beans, end trimmed
1-1/2 cups pork or chicken stock
1 heaping Tbsp flour
1/2 cup sour cream


  • Wash the wax beans and trim the blossom ends. Very tender beans do not necessitate it, but if the beans are a bit stringy, pull of the strings too.
  • Wash the pork sirloin and trim off all the fat and pound out the slices very thin. I place the slices on a designated cutting sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and pound them flat [on both sides] with a meat tenderizer. I use clean wrap for every batch.
  • Season and roll the slices into flour.
  • On medium heat, pre-fry the slices in 3 Tbsp of oil.
  • Transfer the slices to a larger pot.
  • Add the prepared wax beans and set it aside.
  • Next, chop the onion very fine and sauté in the remaining oil until soft.
  • Sprinkle the onions with salt and paprika.
  • Give it a stir and pour 1-1/4 cups of pork or chicken stock on the top.
  • Pour it over the pork slices.
  • Bring to a simmer and slowly simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until the wax beans are tender.
  • Meanwhile combine the remaining cold stock with a heaping tablespoon of flour and add to the pot.
  • Stir the sour cream into the pot and serve.






8 comments:

  1. The pork loin part of the dish looks delicious though I'm not fond of fresh green or wax beans. My mom used my dad's wax beans in chicken and pork stews and they loved the dishes.

    The city of Timisoara has a very rich cultural history according to my dad's stories of the Banat region even though it spent much of it in the hands of various occupying powers. I wish I had been able to visit and see it all for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavour of the wax beans is almost undetectable, which is why I prefer them over the green beans. It tastes like a paprikas.

      Delete
  2. My cousins n Lucy's dad was from Transylvania so I'm sure this dish was a staple in their home, although my Budapest native parents never made it. I love that your sauce is on the creamy side, my aunt used to make her recipe of csirke paprikás and it always had a pool of grease floating on top. We have wax beans in Toronto, particularly in Bloor West village which is a predominantly Eastern European community but I even remember eating them as a child.
    I'm always looking for new recipes and this one looks like a keeper.
    Eva https://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After more than a 100 years only Hungarian remember Transylvania as Erdely. It's a toss up for me between the porkolt with the read grease floating on top or the paprikas with the creamy sauce. I like both actually. You are lucky Eva, when we give up gardening, it won't be long now, I will seldom have the chance eating wax beans and good yellow paprika.

      Delete
  3. I'm sending your recipe to my Nagy..I am betting she'll know this.Too bad the season for wax beans is done as our local farmer grows them, but other than that, I never see them anymore.I love Bob fozalek too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully there is always next year. :-)

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive