- Preheat the oven to the suggested temperature. Cook’s ham requires 325F.
- Sauté the onions on olive oil until very soft. Do not brown.
- To assemble the ham loaf, place the ground ham in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the soft onions and the remaining ingredients.
- Do NOT add salt.
- With your hands, mash together everything.
- Form into a loaf and place it in a small greased baking dish.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake following the suggested cooking instructions.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Ham loaf is also nice chilled.
The ham for this ham loaf did not come from leftover ham. I took apart a large ham and repurposed it. Reheating leftover ham is OK, but cooking it twice would render it tasteless and unappetizing.
I put part of the ham through the food processor and minced it for future ham patties and a ham loaf. If you are not using the ground ham right of way, label the package and include the suggested cooking instruction. This is important. With partially smoked ham, you run the risk of a parasite infection and fully smoked ham burns rather quickly. The ham I had required 10 to 15 minutes per pound at 325F until thoroughly heated. Your ham loaf may require a different temperature and length of cooking. When it comes to cooking hams, what is true for the whole is true for its parts.
300 g fresh ham, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
1-1/2 cups fine soft breadcrumbs
few sprigs of fresh or frozen parsley, chopped
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- MEATBALLS WITH KIELBASA
- CHICKEN GULYAS - CSIRKEGULYÁS
- SCORED POTATOES
- HAM LOAF
- COOKED MAYONNAISE
- COCONUT LOAF
- PARMESAN ENCRUSTED BREADED PORK TENDERLOINS
- HUNGARIAN ALL PURPOSE CRACKERS - HÁZTARTÁSIKEKSZ
- CHERRY PASTRY BARS - CSERESZNYÉS PITE
- COOKED CHERRY FILLING
- HAM CRACKLING BISCUITS – SONKA TEPERTŐ POGÁCSA
- HOMEMADE SPINACH PASTA WITH WALNUTS
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)