1 cup white beans
4 cups chicken stock
4 bay leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 whole black peppercorns
1 cup tomato sauce
2 fresh sage leaves
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 pinch of hot mustard
piece of smoked ham, optional
salt and black pepper to taste
• Cook the beans first.
• Rinse 1 cup of white beans*.
• Add 5 cups of water and bring to rapid boil.
• Boil for 5 minutes; remove from heat.
• Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
• Drain the soak water and rinse beans.
• Place the beans in a medium sized pot.
• Add 3 cups of chicken stock, 2 bay leaves, 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic, and peppercorns.
• Cover the pot, bring to boil and gently simmer for 1 hour or until beans are very soft.
• Transfer the beans to an ovenproof casserole dish, reserving the cooking liquid.
• Preheat oven to 375F.
• Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 clove of garlic, and 2 sage and 2 bay leaves.
• Add 1/2 Tbsp of brown sugar and a pinch of hot mustard.
• Add enough cooking liquid to just reach the top of the beans.
• Add the smoked ham, if using.
• Place in the oven uncovered and bake for 1 hour.
• Adjust the salt and the pepper.
*Brown beans should be soaked overnight.