PLUM CORDIAL - SZILVASZÖRP
Szörp is a Hungarian sugary fruit concentrate that is used to make fuzzy non alcoholic drinks. Before the days of juice and cola, Hungarians mixed their szörp, with soda water. Raspberry was the most popular. I can’t remember a get-together without some málnaszörp and soda water. The food was laid out in the main room; the drinks were on trays in the kitchen. What can I say there was some spillage with szörp traffic. The szóda szifon tended to overshot. Use any fruit; this is how I make szörp.
1 cup of sugar for every cup of plum puree
• Wash the plums and remove the stones. Discard blemished fruit. Keep only the healthy.
• Using a blander or food processor, puree the plums in batches.
• Pour the pureed plums into a large measuring cup.
• Make a note of the amount and then transfer the pureed fruit to a large heavy pot.
• Measure out the sugar, 1 cup for every cup of pureed plums.
• Add the sugar to the pot and stir to combine.
• Bring to the boil. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Remove pot from the heat. The plums will have a vibrant color and the consistency will be like a smooth sauce.
• Place a large sized fine sieve over a bowl or a pot.
• In batches pour the plums into the sieve.
• Let the liquid drip and help it along with a large wooden spoon. This is a bit tedious and time consuming, but don’t use your fingers, not only because it’s still hot, but you don’t want to add skin cells to the cordial. Some people prefer to use cheesecloth; I prefer a fine sieve and a wooden spoon.
• When all the fruit is strained discard the pulp.
• Strain the liquid one more time and transfer into a pot.
• Bring to the boil, but just, and then pour into hot sterilized jars.
• Add 1/2 teaspoon of Fruit Fresh to each jar.
• Wipe the rims, place on the snap lids and screw on the caps. Check the box and make sure to follow manufacturer’s suggestion for softening the cap seals. In the past we had to boil the caps for 5 minutes to soften the seal. Recently purchased caps had to be heated only with boiling water.
• Place the jars in 210F oven for 40 minutes or until jars are very hot to the touch.
• Prepare a dry pack: line a basket or a box with tea towels.
• Remove from the hot bottles from the oven and transfer them to the prepared dry pack.
• Encase the dry pack into an old quilt or several blankets and leave it to cool.
• By evening the jars will still be warm; they will also be completely sealed.
To serve add a few tablespoons of plum cordial to a glass and top it up with chilled soda water. Drop in a couple of ice cubes for a wonderful beverage. Don’t use flavoured sodas or ginger ale. A small amount of cordial will make the drink plenty sweet already, besides you don’t want to mix unrelated flavours.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (94)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
- CLASSIC BIRTHDAY CAKE
- SHEPHERD’S RIB - PÁSZTORBORDA
- HUNGARIAN SWEET BUN - BUKTA
- BABY BOK CHOY PASTA
- PLUM DIPPING SAUCE
- BAKONY MINCED MEAT - BAKONYI VAGDALT HÚS
- SWEET PEPPER JELLY
- SWEET TOMATO CHUTNEY
- CARAMEL CAKE
- CARAMELIZED BUTTER FROSTING
- CARAMEL SYRUP
- VEGETABLE FLATBREAD PIZZA
- CAULIFLOWER AND CHEESE
- CHEESE SAUCE
- PLUM CREPE PUDDING - SZILVÁSLEPÉNY
- POPPY SEED CHIFFON CAKE
- TRANSYLVANIAN LAYERED CABBAGE – ERDÉLYI RAKOTT KÁP...
- PLUM CORDIAL - SZILVASZÖRP
- ▼ October (19)
- ► 2010 (200)