2 cups [250g] cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup butter, at room temperature
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 lightly beaten egg for egg wash
• Combine the cheese and butter in the bowl of the electric mixer and beat at medium speed until very smooth and creamy.
• Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour and the salt.
• Transfer to a board and knead on a lightly floured board only until the mixture clings together.
• Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
• Remove chilled dough from the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling.
• Shape it as desired and fill it with your choice of filling.
• Spread with egg wash and bake in preheated 400F oven until golden brown.
To make 2 nutella braids:
1 batch of cream cheese pastry
1 cup nutella
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Divide the chilled dough into two parts.
• Roll each half into a long rectangle.
If you are not making both braids at the same time, wrap the second half of dough and freeze it for use later. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
• Spread 1/2 cup of nutella down the length of the center of each rectangle.
• Cut the sides into 1 inch strips along both sides.
• Fold the strips over diagonally to make a braid.
• Tuck the ends under.
• Place the braid on the prepared baking sheet.
• Repeat the previous steps and make the second braid.
• Lightly beat one egg and brush the braids with the egg wash.
• Bake until golden brown.