2 kg pickling cucumbers
8 large fresh dill
8 garlic cloves cut in half
2-1/2 cups white vinegar
6-1/2 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup coarse pickling salt
1 long red pepper cut in for pieces or 4 red chilli peppers
• Wash and sterilize four wide-mouth 1quart jars in a preheated 225F oven for ten minutes.
• Next wash the cucumbers under cold running water. Cut off the blossom ends and place in a large bowl of cold water until packing the jars.
• Wash the dill and peel the garlic cloves. Set them aside.
• Place the vinegar, water, sugar and the salt in a large pot.
• Heat to a rapid boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
• Meanwhile place 1 dill and two garlic cloves in the bottom of the prepared jars.
• Fill the jars with the pickles, leaving plenty of head space.
• Add a slice of red pepper or a small chilli pepper to the jar.
• Place the jars near the simmering brine.
• Ladle the hot brine into the jars, covering all the pickles, but leaving some headspace.
• Wipe the rims, put on the lids and screw on the caps.
• Place the jars in a hot water bath covering the tops.
• Boil for 15 minutes.
• Pour off some of the hot water and remove the jars.
• Let the jars cool and place in a cool dark place for six weeks before using.