8 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
3 carrots, julienned
1 shallot, finely diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 packet of Bovril chicken flavoured instant bouillon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Juice of 1 mandarin orange
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
1 mandarin orange, in segments
1/4 cup chopped or sliced nuts [I used almonds]
• Remove the outer layers of cabbage.
• Wash and cut the cabbage into four parts.
• Cut out the hard stem.
• Slice into very thin strips and cut the strips into 1-2 inch segments
• Place in the bowl.
• Wash and peel the carrots and cut off the ends.
• First julienne the carrots and then chop them into 2 inch segments.
• Add to the bowl.
• Finely chop the shallots and add to the bowl.
• Add salt and pepper to taste; and toss.
• Add the brown sugar, bouillon packet, garlic powder, mandarin juice, red wine vinegar and the olive oil.
• Toss well.
• Add the dried cranberries, raisins and the mandarin segments and toss.
• Sprinkle the top with the nuts and serve.