MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

28.5.13

SWEET AND SALTY BISCUITS


This is a rustic, sweet and salty cookie. When I saw Marcy Goldman’s Brittany Butter Cookies, I thought oh goodie I can use up the egg yolks. Then I misread Goldman’s recipe and I put the milk [intended for glazing] into the dough. I was thinking at the time I don’t know what she is talking about laborious kneading, because it took me no time for the dough to come together. Of course it didn’t, not with the added milk. In retrospect the milk is not necessary for the glaze so next time I will add water and a lot less too. Considering all of these changes, intended and otherwise, I didn’t dare to call these Brittany Butter Cookies. Nevertheless they were a hit and I will make them again. I used table salt, but if you like salty foods you may use coarse salt, just use it sparingly.
 
3 egg yolks
1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 tsp water for glazing
salt for sprinkling
 
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• Take away 1/2 Tbsp from the egg yolks and set it aside for use later.
• Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
• Add soft butter and work the two together with your hands.
• Add the egg yolks and 2 Tbsp milk and kneed until dough forms.
• Wrap in plastic and chill dough for an hour.
• Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap.
• Cut out using a 2 inch cookie cutter.
• Place the cookies on the parchment lined baking sheet.
• Whisk together the reserved egg yolk with 1/2 tsp of water.
• Poke each cookie with a fork and brush with the egg-water glaze.
• Sprinkle the tops with salt to taste.
• Bake in preheated 350F oven for 18 minutes.
• Yields 12-13 cookies

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.