2 cups partially frozen tomatoes, chopped
2-1/2 cups partially frozen yellow or red peppers, chopped
1 cup diced good quality meaty bacon
3 cups diced onions
3 smashed garlic cloves
salt to taste
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
parsley [I used frozen parsley]
• Plunge the frozen tomatoes into a bowl of warm water, and quickly rub off the skins. Don’t leave them sit in hot water, transfer them quickly to a large sieve and let them drip for a couple of minutes. Transfer them to a plate and set them aside. Within 5-10 minutes they can be cut in half and then chopped. Add the tomatoes in a partially frozen state to the pot.
• Frozen peppers require a similar treatment. Plunge the frozen peppers into a large bowl of cold [not warm] water, promptly remove them to a large sieve and separate all the pieces. Wait 5-10 minutes and chop them with a chef’s knife to the desired sizes. They will be still partially frozen, but sliceable. Add the partially frozen peppers to the pot as needed.
• Meanwhile chop the bacon and in a non stick skillet on medium heat lightly brown it.
• While the bacon cooks, chop the onions and smash the garlic cloves.
• Scoop out the bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
• Add the onions and garlic to the bacon fat and sprinkle with salt.
• Slow cook onions until very soft. Do NOT burn it.
• Transfer the tomatoes, peppers, bacon and onions to a dutch pot.
• Add the paprika, basil and parsley and stir.