- Following the directions make the Linzer Pastry first.
- Press it into a rectangle, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for half hour or longer.
- While the pastry chills, make a batch of Cooked Cherry Filling.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Next line a 9X13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chilled pastry on a large cutting board.
- Divide the pastry in two and following directions roll out the first pastry to fit the prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the ground walnuts.
- Without disturbing the ground walnuts, spread the Cooked Cherry Filling on top and set it aside.
- Following directions roll out the second pastry. Make the second pastry a little larger because the baking pan is somewhat larger on the top.
- Lay the pastry over the cherry filling and lightly press down.
- Brush the top pastry with lightly beaten egg and poke holes in it with a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top has a light golden brown color.
- Let it cool for 20 minutes. Pastry is ready to cut while lukewarm.
CHERRY PASTRY BARS - CSERESZNYÉS PITE
One of my fondest food memories were a mixed tray of goodies from the Hauer Cukrászda. Ignoring the lúdláb and the dobos, I honed in on the cherry pite. If I remember it correctly, I ate three, but I may have eaten four and after that I just laid down to digest it nurturing my awakening taste buds. It was nothing short of ecstasy. The year was 1972 and after five years of sunshine and food deprivation in Northern B.C. I was ready to eat. I can’t promise you the same effect but this pastry is worthy of more than one slice.
Cherry Pastry Bars
1 batch of Linzer Pastry – click on link
1 batch of Cooked Cherry Filling – click on link.
2 Tbsp ground walnuts
1 lightly beaten egg for glazing
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- MEATBALLS WITH KIELBASA
- CHICKEN GULYAS - CSIRKEGULYÁS
- SCORED POTATOES
- HAM LOAF
- COOKED MAYONNAISE
- COCONUT LOAF
- PARMESAN ENCRUSTED BREADED PORK TENDERLOINS
- HUNGARIAN ALL PURPOSE CRACKERS - HÁZTARTÁSIKEKSZ
- CHERRY PASTRY BARS - CSERESZNYÉS PITE
- COOKED CHERRY FILLING
- HAM CRACKLING BISCUITS – SONKA TEPERTŐ POGÁCSA
- HOMEMADE SPINACH PASTA WITH WALNUTS
- ▼ March (12)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (202)