22.2.13

BROCCOLI POTATO CURRY

I rediscovered my wok. It’s true what they say if you don’t keep it out you will never use it. I even forgot I had one. Then the other day my better half was showing the grandgirl what a wok looks like. “See, I bought this for grandma for Christmas once, but she never uses it.” Well I will prove him wrong I thought and when I saw this curry recipe in a women’s magazine waiting at the doctor’s office, I wrote down the key ingredients on a slip of paper. Now I am sure this isn’t authentic Indian curry. It probably never was, I mean have you ever seen an authentic gulyás in a North American magazine? This is probably true of everything Indian as well. In fact this was so not authentic; I almost had all the ingredients... almost. I replaced the fennel seeds with caraway seeds and I decided it was hot enough without the chili powder so I used sweet Hungarian paprika instead. It turned out very nice and I made it again since.

BROCCOLI POTATO CURRY
1 broccoli flower
2 large red potatoes peeled
2 Tbsp oil
1/4 onion
2 pinch of mustard seeds
1 pinch of fennel seeds [or caraway seeds]
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 fresh tomato, chopped
2 pinch of turmeric powder
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
salt to taste
 
• Wash the broccoli and cut into florets. Set aside.
• Cut the peeled potatoes in half and then cut them into uniform slices.
• Place in a deep skillet and pour hot boiling water over the potato slices. Do not add salt.
• Bring to the boil and cook until potatoes are almost, but not quite tender.
• Meanwhile peel and slice the onion and set aside.
• Chop the tomato and set aside.
• When the potatoes are ready, drain them and set them aside.
• Next place the wok on medium high heat.
• Add the oil and when it’s hot add the mustard seeds, fennel seeds and the cumin seeds.
• When the cumin seeds begin to pop, add the sliced onion.
• Fry the onion slices until transparent and add the chopped tomatoes.
• Sauté the onions and tomatoes in the spice infused oil stirring, for 2 minutes.
• And the broccoli florets, the turmeric, the curry powder and the paprika and sauté for 2 minutes.
• Add the potato slices and season with salt.
• Sprinkle with a little stock or water and cook covered for 2 minutes until potatoes are tender but still a little crunchy.
• Serve immediately.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!