1/3 +1 cup milk
1 Tbsp sugar
3-1/2 tsp dry instant dry yeast
2+1 cups flour
1/8 cup sugar
2 pinches of salt
2+1 egg yolk
1/4 cup butter
• In the microwave heat 1/3 cup milk to lukewarm.
• Add 1 Tbsp sugar and the instant yeast. Set aside
• As the yeast proofs measure out the remaining ingredients:
• Put 2 cups of flour in a large bowl and set it aside.
• Add 1 cup of flour to a small bowl and set it aside.
• In the microwave heat 1 cup of milk to lukewarm.
• Add 1/8 cup sugar, a pinch of salt and 2 egg yolks to the lukewarm milk.
• Whisk to combine and set it aside.
• Slightly melt the butter and set it aside.
• Add the yeast mixture to the 2 cups of flour in the large bowl.
• Combine with a wooden spoon.
• Place the dough inside the microwave and shut the door.
• Let dough rise until doubled in size.
• Remove risen dough from the microwave and gradually add the milk and egg mixture while beating with a wooden spoon to combine.
• Gradually add the slightly melted butter and beat to combine.
• Finally add the remaining 1 cup of flour and beat to combine.
• Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and kneed.
• Kneed dough until large holes is visible when you cut into it.
• Put the dough back in the large bowl and set it inside the microwave to rise.
• When dough is doubled, braid the dough and place it on a greased cooking sheet.
• Brush the top with the remaining egg yolk and let it rise.
• When the braid has doubled in size, turn the oven to 400F.
• Bake the braid in the oven until nicely browned on the top.
• Remove from the oven. This recipe makes one large braid.