4 cups flour
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
4 heaping tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1+1 cups vegetable oil
• In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
• In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, water and the maple syrup.
• Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.
• On a floured surface kneed dough ten times.
• Divide dough into 16 parts and roll into balls.
• On lightly floured board, flatten into disks.
• Roll each disk into a 6-inch circle.
• Heat 1 cup of oil in a fry pan.
• When the oil almost boils, reduce heat to medium.
• Shake off excess flour and slide dough circle into the hot oil.
• When the dough begins to bubble on top, quickly flip it over and fry until both sides are golden, but not brown.
• Place on paper towels and serve bannock.