QUICK HUNGARIAN FLATBREADS - GYORS LÁNGOS
These are perfect and the refrigerated dough apparently lasts for a week. If you want you can have fresh lángos for a week. I like it with sour cream and grated white cheddar. You can also serve it with sour cream and purple onion slices or with a cabbage topping. For the kids, just sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or eat it plain. I lost count how many lángos I fried in the course of the week. Between the two of us 3 is the limit. The dough started to smell yeasty after 4 days, but the lángos was still perfect. I still have a large chunk of dough in the fridge and I am starting to think we may not finish it in time.
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
2-1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
• It is useful to have a standing beater with a dough hook.
• Place the milk, yeast and sugar in the bowl of a standing beater and sprinkle 2 Tbsp of flour on the top.
• Let it stand for 10 minutes. It is not normally required to proof instant dry yeast, but in this case it speeds up the process and makes a loftier lángos.
• Add the eggs and whisk together with a large balloon whisker until well combined.
• Add the salt and gradually start adding the flour.
• Switch to a dough hook or a wooden spoon and gradually beat in the remaining flour. • When the dough is formed beat for at least 4 minutes or until the dough is very elastic.
• Remove the amount needed and place the remaining dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate for an hour.
• Shape the dough into a ball, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
• Divide dough and shape into large egg sized balls, and place on a lightly floured board.
• Flatten the dough balls and roll into about 3 mm thick disks.
• Let them rest for 15 minutes.
• Place a skillet on medium heat and add about an inch of vegetable oil. If you have an electric stove, give time for the oil to reach frying temperatures.
• Lower the flatbread into the frying oil.
• Turn it over and fry until both sides are nice golden.
• Place on paper towels.
• After all the flatbreads are fried spread them with a topping of your choice and serve.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- ▼ February (9)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)