image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

16.2.13

ZIPPY MEATBALLS


Back in the days when I used to make standing rib roasts, I removed the meaty bones and made devilled beef bones with this zippy sauce. Our beef days are over and I can’t even remember the last time I used hot ketchup. The sauce is still zippy, but you can turn it up a little if you like. This one is a fast dish and is ready as soon as the tiny meatballs cook through and no longer pink in the middle. Serve it with rice, but good with buttered noodles too.
 
Meatballs:
 
300 g of lean ground pork or chicken [ground turkey is rude]
1 egg
1/4 cup fine breadcrumbs
1 sprig of fresh parsley finely chopped
1 Tbsp onion flakes
salt to taste
2 Tbsp oil for slow frying
 
Zippy Sauce:
 
1/2 cup ketchup regular or hot
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 large pinch of celery seed water
 
• Make the meatballs first. In a large mixing bowl combine the lean ground pork or chicken, egg, fine breadcrumbs, a sprig of finely chopped fresh parsley, onion flakes and salt.
• Form small meatballs, about the size of an egg yolk.
• Heat up a non stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Add the oil and slow fry the meatballs, turning them over often, until no longer pink in the middle.
• Remove from heat and set aside.
• Next make the zippy sauce.
• Add the first five sauce ingredients to a measuring cup and top it up with water to 1 cup.
• Whisk together with a fork.
• Pour the sauce over the meatballs and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
• Slowly simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
• Serve with rice or buttered noodles.
 

9 comments:

  1. I could probably eat your entire recipe of your spicy little meatballs cause they look so very good. Stick some toothpicks in them and they're make great appetizers at a party as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an artistic photo! I love the red splash and have no idea how you have achieved it.
    I have never heard of zippy sauce or balls, but these seem particularly delicious. They make me want to make some meatballs tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of these, and yes, I would definitely turn up the heat! Why are turkey meatballs rude?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eva I find ground turkey tastes like fűrészpor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sissi, good old ketchup - it has become so American, they routinely serve ketchup in restaurants, in fact roadside diners have them on the table with salt and pepper and yet it is a Chinese invention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are good Maria, and the idea to serve it as an appetizer is excellent! They would be great on a party buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are easier than most meatball recipes I see. Simplicity is usually the best way to go! That zippy sauce sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Peach Lady this is a quick and easy recipe. The sauce was good with beef ribs too, but we don't eat much beef anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sissi, I had to compensate for the uneven meatballs somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.