- The turkey is resting under aluminum foil. The dressing is in the oven. Time to make the gravy.
- With a large serving spoon, remove most of the fat from the turkey juices. Leave some though.
- Using oven mitts pour the turkey juices into a pot for the gravy.
- Add all the reserved cooking liquids from the potatoes and the vegetables. [omit beets and yams]
- To thicken gravy with flour or cornstarch, combine a couple of tablespoons with COLD water. The mixture should not be lumpy or too thick.
- Then gradually stir it into the hot turkey juice.
- Slow simmer the gravy to the desired thickness.
- When the gravy is ready, pour it through a fine sieve into a spouted bowl or an extra large measuring cup.
- Add the sautéed onions or mushrooms if using. Give it a stir.
- Transfer gravy to serving bowls or pitchers.
- The gravy boat is just for show, it barely holds enough gravy for a couple of servings.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Our Thanksgiving celebrates the harvest and the blessings of the past year. Canadian Thanksgiving has nothing to do with the pilgrims or with Columbus Day.
NOT celebrate the colonization of her indigenous people. Weather you
celebrate today or tomorrow I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving Day! Canada
Gravy gives the life back to mashed potatoes and turkey. Hungarians serve carved meats with an au juice called rozsdás lé. The roasts are brined with salt and are juicy and flavourful already. Here in
North America we pour gravy over the meat during
Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Gravy is a sauce made from the juices that run during roasting large pieces of meat. For extra gravy, it is useful to roast turkey giblets in a small pan beside the turkey. For added flavour use the potato water and the water from the vegetables, excluding the yams and the beets. These would overwhelm the gravy with flavour and/or colour. If the pan juices have a thick layer of fat, discard some and leave some for flavour and texture. Gravy maybe thickened with flour or cornstarch. Mushroom gravy is a variety of gravy made with mushrooms. Onion gravy is from slowly sweated, chopped onions. Gravy does not have to be brown to be flavourful. Gravy thickeners are useful in a pinch but you can run into problems if you don’t read the instructions. I think it is just as easy to make gravy from scratch. Like everything else, it also tastes better.
crispy bits from the bird
various vegetable waters [not yam or beet]
2-3 Tbsp flour or cornstarch
cold water to make loose paste with thickener
onions or mushrooms sautéed in butter – these are optional
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ▼ October (6)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)