image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

6.1.13

CRANBERRY SAUCE


 
Try this once and you will never touch canned cranberry sauce again. Homemade cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries is easy to make and the flavour is incomparably superior to the canned varieties. Cranberries are full of natural pectin and the sauce will thicken itself, as long as there is not too much liquid in the recipe. A version of this recipe is making its rounds with double amount of water and sugar. Yes, it jells, but as soon as a scoop is placed on the hot plate, the sauce turns to liquid. With only 1 cup of water, the sauce was perfect. You can cut the recipe in half, just don’t increase it. This has something to do with the pectin action.
 
4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp finely grated orange rind
 
• Wash cranberries and drain.
• In a medium sized saucepan, combine cranberries with the remaining ingredients.
• Place on medium heat and bring to a boil.
• Simmer until the skin of the cranberries split with a popping sound.
• Continue to simmer, stirring often on low heat until the sauce thickens. Make sure it does not burn.
• Remove from heat and let it cool.
• Transfer to a serving dish, cover and chill overnight.
 

11 comments:

  1. A Hungarian friend pointed me to your blog... LOVE the recipes!

    Did you know that by using the Blogger "Tags" feature, you wouldn't need the other blog to index your recipes? It might be less work that way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to postpone our Hungarian Christmas Eve because the kids were sick (my brothers two) so it's been rescheduled for this Sunday. JT is chief cranberry sauce maker. I'll pass along your recipe to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't resist a great cranberry sauce with a touch of orange! Happy New Year Cake Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you CreekHiker, yes I was aware of tagging. I may do that one day, but I would have to go back and tag 700 recipes already. The current format works better for me, because it lets me keep a visual inventory for my own use. I am trying to put together some cook books for my family. These blogs are a help for me to organize. Happy to see you here and thank you for the kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eva I am wishing you a wonderful Christmas dinner with your family this Sunday. No doubt you will post some great photos and recipes from the occasion. In the last minute I also bought a small turkey. One of these days we will have a turkey feast ourselves... maybe in March. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Peach Lady and the same good wishes back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cranberry sauce looks so beautiful and jewel like. I'm not a big fan of cranberry because they were not a fruit I grew up with and my exposure to it later on, in the form of canned cranberry jelly to serve with turkey was ok but not outstanding.

    Recently however, I've tried some cranberry mead and made a cranberry poaching liquid for pears. The leftover dried cranberries from the poaching liquid were added to some home made truffles. I may be a cranberry convert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cranberry sauce! Maria the first time I saw people eating "jam" with turkey haha I couldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria I have not been able to comment on your blog and I have a poutine question: what kind of cheese curd did you use and does it matter what kind of gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zsuzsa, I just visited (I can't subscribe to your blog so I have to visit posts on which I've commented ... and I forget which ones they are) and saw your question.

    I used cheddar cheese curds (I only have mozzarella and cheddar available to me) and chose the stronger flavoured one.

    In Quebec, their curds are less than a day old which is the only way you'll get that squeak when you bite into them. Unless you make them yourself or go to a restaurant which has just made cheese curds that morning you're really not getting 'authentic' poutine. But it's still tasty.

    As to the gravy ... it's said to be a brown gravy which I thought was beef but it turns out to be a chicken based veloute (combination of milk and stock made from rotisserie chicken drippings, flavoured with onion and lots of black pepper).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maria for responding to my question, some of what you write is important to know before attempting to make poutine, you see I never tasted it, I just heard it was delicious. In the meantime I am sorry we both have problems posting on each other's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive