Try this once and you will never touch canned cranberry sauce again. Homemade cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries is easy to make and the flavour is incomparably superior to the canned varieties. Cranberries are full of natural pectin and the sauce will thicken itself, as long as there is not too much liquid in the recipe. A version of this recipe is making its rounds with double amount of water and sugar. Yes, it jells, but as soon as a scoop is placed on the hot plate, the sauce turns to liquid. With only 1 cup of water, the sauce was perfect. You can cut the recipe in half, just don’t increase it. This has something to do with the pectin action.
4 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp finely grated orange rind
• Wash cranberries and drain.
• In a medium sized saucepan, combine cranberries with the remaining ingredients.
• Place on medium heat and bring to a boil.
• Simmer until the skin of the cranberries split with a popping sound.
• Continue to simmer, stirring often on low heat until the sauce thickens. Make sure it does not burn.
• Remove from heat and let it cool.
• Transfer to a serving dish, cover and chill overnight.
- It began with posting a few recipes on line for my family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized my recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on the cookbook to access the recipes. I am not profiting from my blog, so my visitors will not be harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. This is to my old on-line friends and visitors: policing the comment section for spam and answering questions has become a chore. Good wishes to you all, happy cooking and keep on feeding your people with good food.
- ► 2014 (93)
- ▼ 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (198)