image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

1.6.13

PAPRIKA SALMON – PAPRIKÁS LAZAC


I claim this dish as my own invention; this was the first pink salmon I fully enjoyed that did not just come off the boat. Jim buys dozens of wild pacific pink when they come to town, filets most of them and then freezes the portions for the coming year. The two small filets I prepared last night were from last year’s batch. When it comes to fish, I want freshly caught and preferably sockeye salmon. Very expensive! Last week we ran out of sockeye so here on end we will be having spring salmon until the arrival of this year’s bounty.
 
I tried to make a salmon paprikás before, but fish taste is not among the things I enjoy so no, there was no repeat of that one. But poaching the fish and then drenching it with paprika sauce turned out to be amazingly tasty. I guess we will be having paprikás lazac until this year’s sockeye catch shows up in the stores.
 
The paprikás sauce is not really a sauce; it is more of a flavouring. Hungarian cookbooks would call it paprikás zsír or paprika grease and yes there would be substantial amount of lard, oil or butter in it. But with the amount I used here, it doesn’t qualify as paprika grease. Most of the liquid came from the vegetables sweating off their liquid.
 
2 servings of salmon filets
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp butter
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick slices
salt to taste
 
• Remove the skin from the fish.
• Place in a non stick skillet and cover with cold water.
• Sprinkle with salt and bring to a slow simmer.
• Meanwhile, heat a different non stick skillet.
• Add the oil and the butter.
• When the butter is melted add the sliced onion and sauté on medium heat.
• Sprinkle with salt.
• When the onion wilts, add the tomatoes and crush them with a fork.
• Add the bell pepper and sauté for a couple of minutes.
• The salmon should be ready by now. Remove the salmon with a large slotted spoon and transfer to a heated platter.
• Remove the onion mixture from heat and stir 1 tsp Hungarian paprika into the mixture.
• Scoop the paprika sauce over the fish and serve immediately.


10 comments:

  1. My husband would love it! Accidentally I have made several Hungarian dishes last week because my Hungarian friend brought tons of Hungarian paprika (fresh). Even though still from the greenhouse, the aroma is extraordinary! I have made paprikas csirke, gulyas (a complete failure that I repaired making spicing it up and ending up with a Mexican dish) and lecso...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't know sockeye salmon from any other kind but I'll take your word for it that it's the best. :) My mom did not like fish at all so it was very rarely served at my house until I was in my 30s and started cooking full time for myself.

    I'd probably consider the preparation too time consuming for a single meal or two (not that it IS of course) as I'm more likely to just bake my fish and serve it very simply with some lemon juice, or marinated in some home made teriyaki sauce and then baked along with the accompanying rice. Very rarely, I make a hollandaise and treat myself to an elegant salmon dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O how nice you got some hothouse Hungarian peppers Sissi! Our Hungarian pepper plants were planted into the garden on the May long weekend so it will take a while before we can eat some. For now, I am using frozen peppers and the odd red or yellow bell from the store. I can hardly wait for them to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, this took me all of 15 minutes to prepare. The only requirement is authentic Hungarian paprika. [It does not come in a glass or a metal box in Canada, even if it says authentic, don't buy it, it is probably too old] Paprika has 6 months of shelf life, 1 year in the fridge, and several years in the freezer. When I buy paprika I want to see the wild red colour and smell the strong pungent aroma. There is nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have my almost full small container of Hungarian Paprika from the paprikas I made a while back. I won't be replacing it even if it's more than 6 months 'old' however but will just have to make do with the less vibrant colour/taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now if you ever taste the real thing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your site! Am a Hungarian-American living in London but go to Hungary about 3 times/year and try to cook authentically in my house here in London. Thanks for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember a comment that you left on one of my posts once, that you loved your paprika. :) You certainly do if you are using it with salmon. Never would have considered salmon and paprika. However, I definitely will take your words for it. It looks absolutely delicious and since I'm a chile pepper lover of any kind, I know I'd like this. Great original recipe my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peach Lady I can attest to the fact that Hungarian paprika goes rather well with fish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brandy, well then you have the opportunity to sample the real thing every year - I work entirely on memory. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.