image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

19.10.13

APPLE CAKE


I wanted to try the boozy plum cake with apples. Initially I thought I will just add a photo to the other post. However, this cake turned out differently and yet it is so good! I used more fruit and rum this time. I suppose apples react with liquor differently, because this cake did not taste boozy. But as far as apple cakes go it is definitely the best I ever tasted. Teatime was wonderful! I am not sure how many slices Jim had already; but I hope he stops soon, because dinner is just around the corner; I have a large apple stuffed pork roasting in the oven. The dying tree did very well this year. It is a good thing, because the replacement is not yet up to a full production.
 
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp rum [not a rum extract]
4 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
sprinkling of nutmeg
1/2 tsp Fruitfresh
1/8 cup of sugar
 
• Preheat the oven to 375F.
• Line a 9 inch spring form round cake pan with parchment paper.
• Beat the butter and 1 cup sugar until frothy.
• Add the eggs one by one beating well after each addition.
• Add the rum and beat it well.
• Lower the speed and gradually add the baking powder.
• Add the flour and beat to combine. Do not overbeat. If in doubt, stir the flour into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon.
• Put 2/3 of the batter into the prepared spring-form pan.
• Place the thinly sliced apples in a large mixing bowl.
• Sprinkle with nutmeg, Fruitfresh and 1/8 cup of sugar.
• Gently mix to coat the apples.
• Place the apples evenly on the cake batter.
• Spoon the remaining batter on the top and smooth it out with an offset spatula.
• Bake the cake for 45 minutes.
• Remove from the oven and let cake cool for 30 minutes before slicing.


 

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure that I've mentioned before that this kind of cake was one of my mom's rare treats for us. She didn't bake too often but my dad used to ask for something sweet on a regular basis and she indulged him and us occasionally.

    I'm not familiar with FruitFresh and the only dessert type spice my mom ever had in her pantry was cinnamon, but I can almost imagine the house filled with the wonderful aroma of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, my husband loves cakes and barcookies with fruit. He is not that crazy about buttercream and whipped cream - the poor guy...

      Delete
  2. Zsuzsa, I love a good apple cake and your recipe sounds delicious. Rum is an interesting addition, which I'm sure enhances the flavour! Tell me, what is fruit fresh please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy! Fruitfresh is a brand name. It’s ascorbic acid, a natural organic compound with antioxidant properties. Same as Vitamin C. It prevents fruit from browning and is sold with the canning supplies in Canada.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive