I once said that people can be convinced to buy anything, even water. It was an exaggeration at the time, unfortunately it no longer is. But the benefit involved using commercial Sake and Bake still escapes me. Homemade shake and bake chicken is tasty, crispy and succulent and the coating always stays on. How is your Shake and Bake?
3 Tbsp olive oil
6 chicken thighs with the skin on
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 pinch savoury
1 pinch marjoram
1 pinch thyme
2 tsp dried onion flakes
salt and pepper to taste
• Wash the thighs and lightly dab each piece between paper towels.
• Oil the casserole dish and turn the oven to 375F.
• Add the flour and the seasonings to a Ziploc bag, seal and shake to combine.
• Put a chicken piece into the bag, seal and shake.
• Place the coated chicken piece with skin side up in the prepared casserole dish.
• Repeat until all the pieces are coated.
• Place in the oven for 1-1/2 hours or until golden brown and crisp.
• Remove dish from the oven.
• With a pair of kitchen thongs turn each piece over and then back with skin side on top and serve.
• Store unused shake and bake mix in the freezer.