MARZIPAN PLUM CAKE
Looks like a bar cookie but this really is a cake bar. I made it with plums, but I think other fruits could be just as delicious. There is something wonderfully satisfying about cake, fruit and icing together. I had some homemade marzipan [Click on the link for the recipe] and some overripe plums that were begging to be used. I rushed out to buy hazelnuts and almonds. It was a fitting way to finish the plums. I am grateful to Handbags and Cupcakes for sharing this wonderful recipe.
1 cup butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2+1/3 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
3/4 cup marzipan, chopped into 1/2 inch squares
7 ripe plums, stoned and cut into quarters
1/4 cup flaked almonds
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp water
• Preheat the oven to 175F.
• Lightly grease a 9X 13 baking pan and line it fully with parchment paper.
• Cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
• Gradually add the eggs, whisking between each addition (add a little flour if the mix starts to curdle).
• Sift over the flour and the baking powder.
• Add the ground almonds and mix to combine.
• Fold in the hazelnuts.
• Gently fold in the marzipan.
• Pour into the prepared pan and place the plum quarters on top, pushing them down a little into the mixture.
• Scatter with the flaked almonds.
• Bake for about 50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
• Cool for 30 minutes.
• Grasp the parchment paper and remove cake bar to a wire rack to cool completely.
• For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add about a tablespoon of water and stir to a single-cream consistency.
• Use a teaspoon to drizzle the icing over the cake and wait for it to set for a few hours. • Cut into squares and enjoy.
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- ► 2014 (96)
- PUMPKIN PIE
- TOASTED PARMESAN TOMATO SANDWICH
- DECONSTRUCTED STUFFED PEPPERS - GOMBÓCOS TÖLTÖTT P...
- RUSSIAN CREAMCHEESE BUNS
- HOMEMADE SHAKE AND BAKE CHICKEN
- NO BAKE CHOCOLATE NUT BARS
- BANANA MUFFINS
- CHOCOLATE TART
- MARZIPAN PLUM CAKE
- APPLE CAKE
- CUSTARD APPLE PIE
- BOOZY PLUM CAKE
- PICKLED PEPPERS
- PRESERVING FRUIT COULIS
- ▼ October (14)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)