image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

20.10.13

MARZIPAN PLUM CAKE


 
Looks like a bar cookie but this really is a cake bar. I made it with plums, but I think other fruits could be just as delicious. There is something wonderfully satisfying about cake, fruit and icing together. I had some homemade marzipan [Click on the link for the recipe] and some overripe plums that were begging to be used. I rushed out to buy hazelnuts and almonds. It was a fitting way to finish the plums. I am grateful to Handbags and Cupcakes for sharing this wonderful recipe.
 
1 cup butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2+1/3 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1-1/4 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
3/4 cup marzipan, chopped into 1/2 inch squares
7 ripe plums, stoned and cut into quarters
1/4 cup flaked almonds
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp water
 
• Preheat the oven to 175F.
• Lightly grease a 9X 13 baking pan and line it fully with parchment paper.
• Cream the butter and sugar until pale, light and fluffy.
• Gradually add the eggs, whisking between each addition (add a little flour if the mix starts to curdle).
• Sift over the flour and the baking powder.
• Add the ground almonds and mix to combine.
• Fold in the hazelnuts.
• Gently fold in the marzipan.
• Pour into the prepared pan and place the plum quarters on top, pushing them down a little into the mixture.
• Scatter with the flaked almonds.
• Bake for about 50 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
• Cool for 30 minutes.
• Grasp the parchment paper and remove cake bar to a wire rack to cool completely.
• For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add about a tablespoon of water and stir to a single-cream consistency.
• Use a teaspoon to drizzle the icing over the cake and wait for it to set for a few hours. • Cut into squares and enjoy.






8 comments:

  1. I've read and saved your marzipan recipe for the 'one day' when I make some of the wonderful recipes found on your blog. I'm still picturing making those lovely little marzipan fruits and veggies found in the old fashioned Italian bakeries like these.

    http://thestandardoftaste.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/marzipan-fruit.jpg

    In the meantime, this marzipan plum cake actually looks manageable and oh so delicious. I think that I can manage one piece even on a full tummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Maria, I have not thought about it for a long time, but the large coffee houses in Budapest used to have a lot of marzipan decoration on their cakes. As a kid I didn't care for them, but now I love marzipan. :-)

      Delete
  2. Zsuzsa, can I come for coffee at your place?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Starbucks French Roast. Now make sure you arrive before eight. That's when I am plugging in the pot. I like tea in the afternoon, but I will make you a pot of coffee if you like.

      Delete
    2. LOL! I will remember that : )

      Delete
    3. yup me too. I thought it was haha

      Delete
  3. This cake looks amazing, Zsuzsa! I have to bookmark it, and give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! We really enjoyed it.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive