image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

28.10.13

TOASTED PARMESAN TOMATO SANDWICH


I was instantly attracted to Elisabeth’s toasted tomato sandwiches and even though I lacked some of the ingredients – it has been so long I treated myself to cheese, that I made them anyway. Starting with some inert tomatoes left from summer – the magnificence of fresh fruit off the wine is now a memory – and I didn’t have fresh rosemary or provolone cheese. So I added dry rosemary to fresh parsley and used mozzarella. Now here I am waiting for my sandwich; it will be ready when the first whiff of deliciousness reaches the office.
 
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 large sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
4 tsp olive oil
1 tsp salt ground black pepper to taste
4 large thick slices sourdough bread
4 tomatoes
4 slices of white cheese
1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
 
• Preheat oven to 350F.
• Place the minced garlic and chopped rosemary in a small bowl.
• Add the olive oil, salt and the black pepper.
• Mix to combine.
• Spread the mixture on 4 slices of bread.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
• Put a wire rack inside the pan and place the 4 bread slices on the top. Place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
• Remove baking sheet from the oven.
• Sprinkle the parmesan on the bread slices and top with the white cheese. [I did the reverse, which made assembly a little awkward.
• Bake until the cheese gets a nice golden hue. It was wonderful!



10 comments:

  1. Hi Zsuzsa, Wow, I can't believe my eyes...just noticed the Toasted Parmesan Tomato Sandwich title and I thought to myself...this looks sooooo tempting and really good...then as I was reading, saw the mention! Thank you for the 'shout-out' and link back to me. I love, love how yours turned out, so crunchy, flavorful, and I love how you used mozzarella and the yellow tomatoes on one of the slice.

    Isn't it so easy to make?...so satisfying, and a real treat!
    BTW, I was on my way home from my daughter's when you called, and my purse was in the back seat...heard the call, sorry I missed it, and the time before. I was doggie watching for 4 days while they were out of town; hadn't even been able to comment on blogs during that time (no computer access)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry darling, I have been so busy these last few days I just haven't got around to calling again. I will try again soon. I am thinking of you and I hope you are well.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I have to run away from the evil tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you and my daughter...

      Delete
  3. Some of the BEST things in life are as simple as a toasted parmesan cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lizzy! We tomato lovers should stick together.

      Delete
  4. That does look wonderful, particularly on a fall day. Your diet must be going well since you're treating yourself to cheese, I must admit it would be one thing very much missed from our diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went down a few dress sizes and then stopped when I was helping my daughter with her move. This was good because my weight had a chance to stabilize even though I didn’t loose since August. But now it’s time for the next round! Especially since the Christmas debauchery is just around the corner. My biggest accomplishment is cutting out cold cuts from my diet - and I didn't die from not eating Hungarian salami after all.

      Delete
  5. I love the ease and deliciousness of this dish! A perfect lunch for a fall day!

    ReplyDelete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive