image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

18.2.14

DEER CHOPS


We lived in Prince Rupert from 1967 to 1972. Jim was a social worker and the Queen Charlotte Islands were part of his caseload. He often flew over to the Island on seaplane. There was year around open season on deer there; with no natural predators on the Island the deer were plentiful. We ate lots of deer meat back then and I was always looking for new ways to prepare it. Someone told me to sear the roast in a fry pan before placing it in the oven and that is what I did most often. But Jim was not a hunter. The first time he came upon a group of small deer he shot into the air. All ran off, but one. It just stood there looking at him. He came home that day and told me "I shot Bambi". 

 The real hunter is our son in law. These two deer chops came from one of his many kills. It didn’t seem worth my while to make vadas from two chops so I prepared them like the deer roasts I used to make in Prince Rupert. I was a bit concerned about drying out the meat, but nothing doing, they were succulent and soft like butter. If you are lucky enough to get a hold of a couple of venison chops it will be a real treat, they taste better than moo steak and they are much-much better for you! 

 One last thought… there is no such thing as bad tasting game, only badly processed game. Once an animal is shot, that is when the real work begins. What you do from that point will determine if you end up with lovely meat or dog food. Then you have to be sure the butcher does not skim and mix the wild meat he gets for processing, you don’t want to end up with meat from an improperly handled animal. We are lucky to have Gary's European Sausage in Kamloops. He is not only fastidiously clean; you can be sure to get back the same meat you gave him for processing. Our son in law shot a bear last year and I sampled the bear pepperoni made by Gary’s. It was the best tasting pepperoni sausage ever! 

2 deer chops 
2 Tbsp olive oil 
salt and pepper to taste 
2 thick slices of bacon cut in half 

• Preheat the oven to 375F. 
• Remove the membrane from the chops. 
• Lightly salt and season the chops. [The bacon is already salty] 
• Place an ovenproof fry pan on medium high heat. 
• Add the olive and heat up the oil. Do not let it smoke. 
• Add the chops briefly and fry to sear both sides. Do not cook through. 
• Remove the fry pan from heat and place bacon strips over the chops. 
• Cover the fry pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes. 
• Remove the pan from the oven and tent the meat for 15 minutes. This will relax the fibers. 
• Serve the chops with buttery pan fried potatoes.






Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.