image

image

MY COOKBOOK

MY COOKBOOK
Click on the Cookbook for the Recipes

Figyelem

Felvételeim nyilvános publikálása engedély nélkül nem használhatók.

24.9.15

COCOA CAKE IN THE PAN


The leaves are still green and aside from the falling walnuts, a few days ago you wouldn’t even have known that change was upon us. Stillness lies over the garden, the light is soft. The tomatoes may turn colour, but nothing will grow anymore. I am keenly aware summer is ending. In British Columbia, soon after the Labor Day weekend we step into fall. Not officially, that was only yesterday, but it already felt like fall. The weather is always current here; we have four distinct seasons, the temperature, the landscape and the light is ever changing. Fall is my sad time. Even in the temperate parts of Canada winter is cold. Most people are unhappy in January. Not me, it is when I start looking forward to spring.

 



Cocoa Cake In The Pan

Cake:
2-1/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup full fat buttermilk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup strong coffee room temperature [don’t use instant for this]

Chocolate Frosting:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup whipping cream

  • Brew 3/4 cup of strong coffee and set it aside to cool.
  • Preheat the oven to 350F.
  • Fully line a 13X9 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
  • Place the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
  • Whisk to combine.
  • In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth.
  • Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
  • Add the cool coffee and stir to combine.
  • Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 42 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
  • Cool the cake in the pan completely. 
  • Meanwhile combine the frosting ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Next, grasp the parchment and pull it from under the cake. 
  • Spread the frosting on the cake and serve.


10 comments:

  1. Zsuzsa, a lovely cake and a very moving piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. Nobody recites Hungarian poetry quite as well as Latinovits.

      Delete
  2. Zsuzsa, this cake is making my mouth water! I'm sorry you feel sad in the fall but I think this cake will cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jane, it certainly did. :-)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to fall when I can keep the furnace on and yet not have to use a fan in the house to relieve the heat that builds up during the day. The last few weeks have been too changeable. I'd like a piece of the cake. It seems moist and rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Lara we had a hot one here too.

      Delete
  4. You know, Zsuzsa- I think this cake would be easy enough to make with my two 'helpers '-my 4.5yrs and 2.5 yrs old grandsons! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you let them lick the bowl! :-)

      Delete
  5. Zsuzsa..I sent your link to the poem to my sweet 90 yrs old Hungarian Mother-in-law..and I want you to hear what she said after hearing the poet's recitation: : Zsuzsa is a great woman.-The poet is a national pride, so is the actor ,who was reciting the beautiful poem.-
    - Latinovits was persecuted by the communists . At age 30, he throw himself front of a train .-It was nice to see him, to hear him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, thank you. The poem has been part of my life, my husband recites parts of it often, there are several versions of it on YouTube, but none recites it so well as Latinovits.

      Delete

Translate

me

My photo
I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!

Archived Recipes

All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.

Blog Archive