- For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Fully line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the zucchini and the raisins and stir until evenly mixed throughout.
- Beat the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla until well blended.
- Alternatively add the egg mixture and the buttermilk to the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting.
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, lemon juice and the salt.
- Add the yogurt gradually until evenly combined.
- Place a layer on a platter and spread on top 1/3 of the frosting.
- Place the second cake on the top and spread the top and sides with frosting.
- Chill the cake before slicing.
ZUCCHINI LAYER CAKE
What to do with those large zucchinis people so generously give away this time of year? You make a zucchini layer cake. This was a large cake, I froze it for those times when the cake maker shuts down and Jim turns to saltines. Appearances can be deceiving; I am not a perpetual baker.
It tasted like spice cake and I could not have guessed it was a zucchini cake. The zucchini strands were indistinguishable; kids will not know they are eating a vegetable. Olivia picked the raisins out and lined them up on her plate as evidence of my betrayal. The frosting was reminiscent of a lighter cheese cream frosting. The cake had a lovely crumb, but sliced much easier after I chilled it. I jumped the gun a bit, hence the large slice. It took Jim and me two teatime snacks to finish it. Adapted from a nut version on CHOW, I decided the cake batter needed the addition of buttermilk. It turned out lovely and I will make this again.
Zucchini Layer Cake
3 cups cake flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini
1-1/2 cups of mixed golden and dark raisins
1 cup plain full fat Greek yoghurt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
3 cups icing sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup plain full fat Greek yogurt
- I began to post recipes for my family and it turned out to be a work in progress. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has over 900 recipes of Hungarian and international recipes. My recipes are organized into a cookbook format. On top of the page click on the cookbook to get access to all my recipes. If I ever figure out how to add a printer friendly gadget I will add it. In the meantime feel free to cut and paste. Happy cooking!
All my previous posts are listed and organized into a cookbook. Click on the cookbook with the wooden spoon image on the upper left corner to access over 900 recipes. You may click on the archive below, but it can take a long time to load.
- HOT MILK CAKE
- BATTER FRIED BROCCOLI
- SWEET POTATO SPINACH BAKE
- EGG BREAD
- BRANDY YOGURT CAKE
- COCOA CAKE IN THE PAN
- PORK RATATOUILLE WITH ZUCCHINI - HÚSOS LECSÓ CUKKI...
- OLIVIA CAKE
- ZUCCHINI PATTIES - CUKKINI FASÍRT
- ZUCCHINI TOMATO TART
- TEMESVÁRI PORK SIRLOIN - TEMESVÁRI SERTÉSBORDA
- YORKSHIRE PAN PUDDING
- PEANUT BUTTER BARS
- CHICKEN PIE
- FRESH STRAWBERRY CRUMB BARS
- ZUCCHINI LAYER CAKE
- NUTTY BUTTER COOKIES
- KITCHEN HYGIENE
- ▼ September (18)
- ► 2014 (96)
- ► 2013 (106)
- ► 2012 (290)
- ► 2011 (179)
- ► 2010 (203)